Baby T. Report 11/23/2016

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately, one of the baby A. Gdnics has passed. Partly due to me being a beginner, and partly due to it being a baby. I am not sad, I understand that baby T's are very sensitive, and that is why I have more than one. The other babies are doing great, the P. Rufilata's are enjoying their little dens, the LP's are as happy as a baby T can be, and the Cambridgies are being Cambridgies. I want to order some new babies soon. Probably some GBB's, some P. Irmana's, and possibly some more Genics. Thanks for reading.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Unfortunately, one of the baby A. Gdnics has passed. Partly due to me being a beginner, and partly due to it being a baby. I am not sad, I understand that baby T's are very sensitive, and that is why I have more than one. The other babies are doing great, the P. Rufilata's are enjoying their little dens, the LP's are as happy as a baby T can be, and the Cambridgies are being Cambridgies. I want to order some new babies soon. Probably some GBB's, some P. Irmana's, and possibly some more Genics. Thanks for reading.
You mentioned it being partly due to you being a beginner, would you mind explaining what happened? Might help others in the future. As far as getting more T's, like many others told you in previous threads, you should really just stick with what you have for a little while. Depending on where you are located and where the T's would ship from, it could possibly be really cold, which is bad news for slings. I'd hold off till next spring. That'll give you some time to gain tons more experience, and allow the weather to warm back up.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
I think it was a mixture of dehydration and not eating. I fed it recently, but not misted. Just always keep your baby T's dirt damp, but dont directly spray them. Feed wvery day or so. I was just really busy lately and hadnt got around to it.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I think it was a mixture of dehydration and not eating. I fed it recently, but not misted. Just always keep your baby T's dirt damp, but dont directly spray them. Feed wvery day or so. I was just really busy lately and hadnt got around to it.
That really sucks, hopefully your others stay nice and healthy.

For future reference and for any people new to raising slings reading this, KEEP a water dish. That possibly could have been avoided (assuming you didn't have one, I'm not sure).

Last edited:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
That really sucks, hopefully your others stay nice and healthy.

For future reference and for any people new to raising slings reading this, KEEP a water dish. That possibly could have been avoided (assuming you didn't have one, I'm not sure).
I had thought that a waterdish was not the best idea for really tiny (2nd/3rd instar, etc.) slings? I have water dishes for my larger slings and adults but for the babies, I've been doing a squirt or two of distilled water to make 1/3-1/2 the substrate damp and leave water droplets on the side of the deli cup.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I had thought that a waterdish was not the best idea for really tiny (2nd/3rd instar, etc.) slings? I have water dishes for my larger slings and adults but for the babies, I've been doing a squirt or two of distilled water to make 1/3-1/2 the substrate damp and leave water droplets on the side of the deli cup.
Nah, you just need to use a very very small dish for slings of that size! I believe it was @14pokies that uses tattoo ink cups as sling water dishes which, imo, is a very cheap and elegant solution.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
That works too IF you're able to keep check on that, but I still see absolutely no reason to have a water dish except for maybe some species. I have an OBT sling that just completely turns his enclosure upside down every chance he gets, and turns everything into buried artifacts. So he just gets a few drops of water every other day.

The babies are still under 1/2. They would drown.
On the flipside, obviously don't give your tiny slings a lake to swim in lol. While they don't drown, I could possibly see them getting stuck if the dish is deep and way too big (highly doubt that would happen either). I've used a couple end caps (not the cap that covers the tip, but the pressed in cap that holds the ink tube in) on cheap ink pens before and those seem to work great too.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Even a small plastic aquarium leaf if it's concave will hold a couple drops for the tiny guys.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
There is no reason to feed slings every day, or more than twice a week. They don't need that much food.

Geniculatas are humidity-lovers, but frankly, you have no idea if it died because of anything you did. Not every sling is going to make it, as you know.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am SO confused by this new "Give all Ts a water dish and dry substrate"... I have NEVER given a spider under 1" a water dish - I mist their enclosure. (Quick, panic everyone, I said "mist!")... they do JUST fine.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I am SO confused by this new "Give all Ts a water dish and dry substrate"... I have NEVER given a spider under 1" a water dish - I mist their enclosure. (Quick, panic everyone, I said "mist!")... they do JUST fine.
Not sure if someone else mentioned dry sub, I certainly didn't, that definitely wouldn't be a good idea for most species. But if someone is busy to the extent that they can't get around to watering for a week or more, a water dish is a must IMO.

I doubt the sling died from dehydration, but I'd say it could've played a roll. And why chance the problem to begin with when you can just add a water dish, it does zero harm being there.

Last edited:

Estein

Arachnoknight
Eh, I feed my slings every couple of days as long as they'll accept food. If their bodies are trying to grow quickly and get out of that fragile stage, far be it from me to slow them down.