Baby T questions

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The day after tomorrow I'm getting my 2nd, 3rd and 4th T's -
Grammostola aureostriata, Brachypelma albopilosum (2-3cm) and Cyclosternum fasciatum (2cm) by post.
I've made cube glass terrariums with ventilated lids from the ideas I've gained from this forum and have attached a pic.

1. Whats the procedure for unpacking and settling in the new guys ? And how long should I wait to feed them ?
2. If I do use a light for a bit of warmth and to illuminate their tanks, what should I use ?

Thanks so much ... any advice or comments would be appreciated :p

Last edited:

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Grammostola aureostriata, Brachypelma albopilosum (2-3cm) and Cyclosternum fasciatum (2cm) by post.
I've made cube glass terrariums with ventilated lids from the ideas I've gained from this forum and have attached a pic.

1. Whats the procedure for unpacking and settling in the new guys ? And how long should I wait to feed them ?
2. If I do use a light for a bit of warmth and to illuminate their tanks, what should I use ?

Well when they arrive , unpack them slowly , and dont made sudden movements . All you have to do is put the paper towels they are in , into the containers , and let them do what they want .

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

1. Just open their vials.. Pull tissue out... Place tissue in the enclosure & slowly un-roll it... You can wait a week to offer and feed them or you can wait an hour.. It really up to you.. I always offer something small the same day I recieve the critters.. If they dont eat.. Just remove teh prey item..

2. As for a light.. If you want to see in their enclosures just get a flashlight... You dont need to offer them a light for heating.. ;)

My extra advice.. The Grammostola aureostriata is no longer called aureostriata.. It is now known as Grammastola pulchripes... :)

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
^^wow, me too! what kind of containers are those, and how do you open them? did you cut the glass on top to fit the vents? i'm sure many of us would love a little tutorial:D

i feel like i'm searching endlessly for the 'perfect' enclosures, and nothing seems to fit the bill (that isn't $75+ for each one, and even those i'm not in love with, if money weren't an issue).

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use a red floodlight to heat a shelf I have all my slings on. Theyre all in individual containers of course but on the same rack of the shelf. I have the walls tinfoiled to keep heat in a little better. It keeps the temperature of that area at about 80-85 farenheit constantly and supposedly tarantulas cant see red light so it shouldnt disturb them.

Its not really necessary but it keeps that area about 10 degrees hotter than the rest of my room. My room is kept pretty cold though.