Baby T. Blondi eating like a pig :)

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a baby T. Blondi and I feed it 3-4 crickets per day. I'm not feeding it too much, right? :)

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe that is to much.
how big are the crickets you are feeding?

I feed my blondi slings 1-2 big crickets a week.
It has been my experince if you try to grow your t to fast it shortens there life span.
just my opinion

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh really? hmmm:confused: the crickets are small size. you feed it big crickets? how big? like the full grown cricket? cuz my Blondi is 1.5" and I"m scare it might hurt my Blondi. I want my Blondi to live long.. I guess I'll just stick with your advice. thanks :)

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IME, a 1.5" blondi can handle most any cricket... they're not very timid. As for feeding, you can't "overfeed" a T. They'll eat as much as they want. Not saying it's necessarily a good idea to feed it as much as it wants, just that you won't harm it. I've also heard the powerfeeding/life shortening theory. Code Monkey often responds to this type of question with a response of something like "feed it according to your schedule". If you want to feed it more, feed it more. If you want to feed it once a week, feed it once a week. As long as the abdomen isn't shrinking, the T is fine. With my blondi, I prefer a large "healthy" abdomen... but not necessarily as "healthy" as the T's in some of Joy's pictures. If I were to die and come back as a T, I'd want to be one of hers.

Botar

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From what I understand, you cannot feed a T too much. They will stop eating when full. Of course, if you think your T is getting too fat, then just ease up a little.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
If I were to die and come back as a T, I'd want to be one of hers.

Botar
I don't know, might get to be a bit much literally dragging your ass around with you everywhere you went.

Joy's Ts look like the sort you might expect to find in the middle of a love triangle on the tarantula version of Jerry Springer ;)

As for feeding, a tarantula will never eat so much that it bursts or dies of intestinal impaction. However, there is evidence that "obesity" is not harmless, either. First, a tarantula's abdomen is much like a balloon, the larger it is, the more pressure. Consequently, a fat tarantula is more likely to rupture its abdomen in a fall or other physical blow. Second, tarantulas whose abdomens get so large that they cannot hold them off of the ground are prone to developing calluses analogous to bedsores on the ventral side of their abdomen. Often, the end result of a callus like this is that it eventually ruptures and kills the tarantula. Third, although not very significant compared to the first two, the more fuel you pour into a tarantula, the faster it will grow and metabolise to a degree. There is reason to believe this might shorten the tarantula's overall lifespan slightly as it "burns out" sooner.

My opinion is that a tarantula should only be fed enough to maintain a "normal looking" figure. For an adult that means keeping the abdomen within about 2X the diameter of the cephalothorax.

My basic way of feeding my tarantulas is that once they begin feeding after a moult I offer them food every 1-2 days until their abdomens are properly round again. This goes for slings to adults. After I reach this point, I strive for balanced growth. My older adults only get offered food about every 1-2 weeks, slings get offered food about every 4-5 days. The juveniles fall somewhere within that range. If a T is gaining too much weight, I decrease the feedings. If the T appears to not be gaining any weight or slowly losing weight, I increase the rate of feedings. It's just something you'll have to get a feel for and learn relative to your tarantulas and what sort of food you're feeding them.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey

Joy's Ts look like the sort you might expect to find in the middle of a love triangle on the tarantula version of Jerry Springer ;)

You have just given me a wonderful idea for a future photo! =D

Joy

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
You have just given me a wonderful idea for a future photo! =D

Joy
Just make sure you get two huge females facing off over some teeny, scrawny and bald butted male to complete the effect :D

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Just make sure you get two huge females facing off over some teeny, scrawny and bald butted male to complete the effect :D
My God, I have the perfect cast of characters! What's even more perfect is that in addition to being teeny, scrawny and bald-butted, the male has only one palp!

Joy

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
My God, I have the perfect cast of characters! What's even more perfect is that in addition to being teeny, scrawny and bald-butted, the male has only one palp!

Joy
I'm picturing it now and laughing already =D

I was trying to think of a good toothless metaphor for Ts and the palp is definitely it.