baby scorps

hotshotexploder

Arachnopeon
this is my first post on these boards
so anyway my black emp. had 12 babies about 2 weeks ago...they are are still alive and riding on the mothers back
how do i know if they are eating, and how long can i expect them to ride on their mother before they start crawling around on their own

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Welcome to the boards. The scorplings won't eat until they've left their mothers back. They will moult once, spend a couple of days on mum then leave her at which point you should collect them up and seperate them off. You can then feed them small crickets once or twice a week :)

Good luck.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Welcome to the forum, and GL on your slings. Here is a link to a great post on rearing young. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=69385 My emp just had babies a month or so ago and IME it took about 2 weeks to leave the mother, also during that time the mother wasn't hungry and didn't accept food, but once they left I put a few cut up meal worms in there and they all began to eat.

Cheers Thaedion

Last edited:

hotshotexploder

Arachnopeon
thank you for the replys and the link...very helpful as this is my first scorpion and obviously my first set of scorplings

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Introducing prey to the enclosure while the young are first instar will usually cause the mother to cannibalize the young. The slings are designed to be able to survive until they molt and are safely able to leave the mothers back. Your main concern now is leaving the mother in peace and away from stress such as banging, loud noises and heavy feet in the proximity of the enclosure. Then read Brians thread. :) Good luck.

Ed

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great point on keeping the stress/noise/etc down, ED.

Also make sure to keep temps and humidity up.

Thaedion