Baby scorpions falling?

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
My h. Longi recently gave birth. But now babies are falling and it's just their first day. Will they die? Is it beacuse there are too many of them that's why others fall?

Here's her picture when she was still giving birth.

20160517_030335.jpg

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
That looks like quite a bit of babies, Congrats! Don't worry too much. Babies do fall/crawl off of their mother even before the first molt. Just hope the mom doesn't think they are treats. I'd just leave them be until they molt and wander off of her back.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The problem could be stress related. The reason why I say this is because there is it looks like less than an inch of substrate in there so she cannot burrow. Additionally, that "hide" (if I would call it that) appears to be made out of some kind of biodegradable material? A new mother of her species with babies like that should not be just "out in the open" the way she is. She should be safely nestled in a burrow.

Is she in a Kritter Keeper? What is the temperature/humidity of the Enclosure? These are all factors that can affect her pre and post birth.

Last edited:

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
The problem could be stress related. The reason why I say this is because there is it looks like less than an inch of substrate in there so she cannot burrow. Additionally, that "hide" (if I would call it that) appears to be made out of some kind of biodegradable material? A new mother of her species with babies like that should not be just "out in the open" the way she is. She should be safely nestled in a burrow.

Is she in a Kritter Keeper? What is the temperature/humidity of the Enclosure? These are all factors that can affect her pre and post birth.
Im sorry, it was just temporary, i didnt know that she will pop that soon. I was supposed to put her in a 10 gallon aquarium. . . She's in a kritter keeper right now and her hide is coco pot. I dont know about the temp but i mist her enclo every other day. Is there a problem with my set up? Do you think she will eat then?

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
That looks like quite a bit of babies, Congrats! Don't worry too much. Babies do fall/crawl off of their mother even before the first molt. Just hope the mom doesn't think they are treats. I'd just leave them be until they molt and wander off of her back.
Thank you. . I hope she wont eat her babies. Im not disturbing her. . . When will i give her food?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I cannot tell you if she will eat them. I would not move her now , wait until the babies are all detached so you don't hurt any of them when you go to move her into the 10gallon.

She can go a long time without food. I would not try feeding her until the babies are detached and you separate them. Crickets are vicious and might eat one of them.

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
I cannot tell you if she will eat them. I would not move her now , wait until the babies are all detached so you don't hurt any of them when you go to move her into the 10gallon.

She can go a long time without food. I would not try feeding her until the babies are detached and you separate them. Crickets are vicious and might eat one of them.
I really hope that she will not eat them. She went into labor right after she ate the dubia that i gave her. . I need to study my h. Longi scorplings since they are parthogenic. . Hopefully i would be able to get a male fro my clutch

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really hope that she will not eat them. She went into labor right after she ate the dubia that i gave her. . I need to study my h. Longi scorplings since they are parthogenic. . Hopefully i would be able to get a male fro my clutch
They are not parthenogenetic. Stop spreading misinformation unless you have a study to cite.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I am not sure who told you this, but Heterometrus longi are not a parthogenic species. They can only be bred if an adult female is introduced to an adult male and there is a successful pairing.

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
I am not sure who told you this, but Heterometrus longi are not a parthogenic species. They can only be bred if an adult female is introduced to an adult male and there is a successful pairing.
I assure you that h. Longi are parthogenic. Mine doesn't have any mate at all. . . I dont know why other people wont believe us, but usually here in the philipines h. Longi being parthogenic is normal. . . That's why i will document everything to prove that they are really parthogenic. . .

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
They are not parthenogenetic. Stop spreading misinformation unless you have a study to cite.
Yes they are, it's normal here in the philippines. . . I will document everything then i will post it here. . . Im not lying, promise. . . You can even ask people from my country and they will tell you that longis are partho. Or maybe its a different kind of sp.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Maybe you are finding individuals that have stored sperm for some time? They also have long gestation periods. Are you sure the specimen was not already gravid when you got her ?

I read somewhere recently that there is evidence a female can produce more than one brood from a single mating. But they must still mate.

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe you are finding individuals that have stored sperm for some time? They also have long gestation periods. Are you sure the specimen was not already gravid when you got her ?

I read somewhere recently that there is evidence a female can produce more than one brood from a single mating. But they must still mate.
This is true and is confirmed by scientific papers.

Just because you have people confirming it is parthenogenetic doesnt mean it is true. Many of those females were raised communally or wild caught, and have paired. Or gave birth multiple times from a single pairing.

Now I dont doubt it is possible, it is just that there is no determinate proof, and only individuals from one country in the hobby seem to be claiming this in numbers, and not in Europe, the Americas, etc where they are also kept. Merely I am commenting that you are stating that the species is parthenogenetic as a fact and we have nothing to fall back on to trust that, and it's a big claim to make!

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
This is true and is confirmed by scientific papers.

Just because you have people confirming it is parthenogenetic doesnt mean it is true. Many of those females were raised communally or wild caught, and have paired. Or gave birth multiple times from a single pairing.

Now I dont doubt it is possible, it is just that there is no determinate proof, and only individuals from one country in the hobby seem to be claiming this in numbers, and not in Europe, the Americas, etc where they are also kept. Merely I am commenting that you are stating that the species is parthenogenetic as a fact and we have nothing to fall back on to trust that, and it's a big claim to make!
I know were you're coming from.but the fact that i bought my longi when she was still 4i, how would you explain why was she able to get pregnant without any mates at all? Im not arguing with you, its just that, it's normal here in my place. I will be able to prove my claim once im done with my study. For now im concentrating on how to make my scorplings grow healthy. If ever my claims are true then I will just share what i find out. . . Thank you

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight

I got her when she was still 4i, im not forcing everybody to believe me, thats why i will make a documentation about it. I know it will take a long time to prove but once a have my findings then i will share it here. And im not playing scientist either. I just want to prove that they really can produce without mate.

If i may ask, can a scorpion store a sperm even if they molt? I mean, not lose the sperm after molt? Is that a possiblity as well since others re kept in a communal environment

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
That is very strange. I have never heard of this species being pathogenic.

Last edited:

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Well this reminds me of the whole thing with crested geckos and other new Caledonian geckos being parthenogenic as its very rare for it to happen but every once and a while it definitely happens. It could also be a similar rare event that can happen with this species or what you are calling Longimanus over there may not even be an actual H. Longimanus but is a similar looking species.