baby s. crassipes dilemma.

bakeb01

Arachnopeon
Could anyone help me please?
i just had delivered a p. fasciata and S.Crassipes sling (< 3cm.)
unfortunately the Fasciata arrived dead,( which, i am assuming is because of the bitter cold and the postal strike in my area.) :mad:

the crassipes sling seems a bit lethargic too. ive placed it in a small kritter keeper and have it on 80/10 coco peat/vermiculite mix at 80 deg. 80% hum. fingers crossed, it seems to be livening up.

although ive kept a fair few t's, i never kept an australian or a sling so tiny.

does anyone have any experience with these who could point me in the right direction as to whether im doing things right, also feeding frequency etc.

thanks.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Right off the bat I would say that if the sling is half inch or smaller, it needs to be in a small vial or a deli cup. If that thing climbs, it'll get through the cracks in the lid and be gone. Fill the vial or deli cup half full of substrate so it can dig and it can get all the moisture it needs from the small cricks you'll feed it so it doesn't need water yet. What is the actual size of the sling?

Sorry about the other sling.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Right off the bat I would say that if the sling is half inch or smaller, it needs to be in a small vial or a deli cup. If that thing climbs, it'll get through the cracks in the lid and be gone.
BIG BUMP TO THIS! you don't wan't to have no Ts in yours hands at all after getting a package, transfer to vial or small jar if it's smaller then half an inch, i would even put the limit up to an inch as they can wiggle out somehow, 1.5 and up can stay in a KK IMHO, lower get in a vial, jar, something similar.

bakeb01

Arachnopeon
from tip of leg I to leg IV its about an inch.i forgot to mention i have sphagnum moss in there too, that was more for moisture rather than decor.

yea, i was gutted about the fasciata. its strange but it was 10cm. id have thought that would be the one to survive....

thanks for your advice

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just to be safe you might want to go ahead with the deli cup of something like it. You don't want to loose that one too.
The peat moss is fine.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
You're doing the right thing. There are no additional requirements for Aussie T's then there are for any burrowing Haplopelma or Chilobrachys spp. Keep the same :)

Cheers,
Steve

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could anyone help me please?
i just had delivered a p. fasciata and S.Crassipes sling (< 3cm.)
unfortunately the Fasciata arrived dead,( which, i am assuming is because of the bitter cold and the postal strike in my area.) :mad:

the crassipes sling seems a bit lethargic too. ive placed it in a small kritter keeper and have it on 80/10 coco peat/vermiculite mix at 80 deg. 80% hum. fingers crossed, it seems to be livening up.

although ive kept a fair few t's, i never kept an australian or a sling so tiny.

does anyone have any experience with these who could point me in the right direction as to whether im doing things right, also feeding frequency etc.

thanks.
Where did you buy them from ?

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also feeding frequency etc.
Hi,
They eat like pigs, as much as you wish to give them as often as you like. If the next time you put food in and the last lot is still there, don't feed for a week. They will maintain this huge intake of food until they hit about 8cm or so.

Steve

bakeb01

Arachnopeon
Hi,
They eat like pigs, as much as you wish to give them as often as you like. If the next time you put food in and the last lot is still there, don't feed for a week. They will maintain this huge intake of food until they hit about 8cm or so.

Steve
Thanks.

it seems to be settling in and has ate once today.

one other question if you dont mind...

i was in a tizz about which aussie t to buy as there were several i could have had at the same price and same size.

the others were:-

Selenocosmia sp. "Sarina"
Selenotholus sp. "Glenelva"
Selenotypus sp. "Nebo"

im considering getting one of these due to their relative rarity. which would you recommend? im particularly after one that acts differently to the one i have, as at the moment, i dont have the time or other resources to have an overly large collection so i would like a wide range of "characters"

thank you.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
Go with either Selenotholus or Selenotypus, as they are the only two arid zone selenocosmiine genera ;) Truly unique.

Cheers,
Steve