baby millipede help?

TooManyCooks

Arachnopeon
i noticed my narceus americanus had babies about 6 weeks ago, and mama millipede molted and might need a rehouse (she's currently 10cm, and lives in a 5x10cm critter keeper). she's done really well on just 3-4cm of substrate, but now that she's bigger and active once again, and is now sharing her tank with a bunch of babies, im not sure that this current set-up is sufficient enough as of now, but im also not sure about rehousing the babies, as they are all still very young and white in coloration.

How would i go about a rehouse? do i separate the mother and let the babies continue to develop, do i just dump the substrate (with the babies in it) into a larger enclosure?

any advice/tips about baby narceus americanus would also be appreciated :)

Insect Central

Arachnopeon
]
i noticed my narceus americanus had babies about 6 weeks ago, and mama millipede molted and might need a rehouse (she's currently 10cm, and lives in a 5x10cm critter keeper). she's done really well on just 3-4cm of substrate, but now that she's bigger and active once again, and is now sharing her tank with a bunch of babies, im not sure that this current set-up is sufficient enough as of now, but im also not sure about rehousing the babies, as they are all still very young and white in coloration.

How would i go about a rehouse? do i separate the mother and let the babies continue to develop, do i just dump the substrate (with the babies in it) into a larger enclosure?

any advice/tips about baby narceus americanus would also be appreciated :)
I suggest upgrading the tank! For the babies give them protein and should grow up fast! The more together the better since their social.

TooManyCooks

Arachnopeon
I suggest upgrading the tank! For the babies give them protein and should grow up fast! The more together the better since their social.
I've sinced moved them (mother included) into a roughly 16x28 critter keeper with 5 inches of substrate. they are far more spread out but growing fast!

YeetdaMeme

Arachnopeon
Personally I would move all of the substrate the babies and adults into one enclosure.
I just realised I never said I would move all of them into a larger enclosure together as the adult's poop can be beneficial to growing babies. As often times the more spread out the baby pedes are the faster they could grow until a certain point.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I would move them all to a larger enclosure and make sure the humidity is where it needs to be. I think of critter keepers as those plastic boxes with vented tops. Probably too much ventilation for most millipedes.

TooManyCooks

Arachnopeon
I would move them all to a larger enclosure and make sure the humidity is where it needs to be. I think of critter keepers as those plastic boxes with vented tops. Probably too much ventilation for most millipedes.
i use critter-keepers and other vented-top enclosures for my millipedes, as well as several others. its really easy to plug up the ventilation slots/holes, so that way i can ventilation and humidity down to the tee.