baby jumping spider feeding

justinherran

Arachnopeon
I have a baby jumping spider I recently found. Its about 1cm what should I feed this little guy or should I let him go?

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could get some flightless fruit flies, those shouldn't be too big for it. Jumpers can and will take down prey that is the same size or even larger than them. So, even small crickets should work.

Do you want to keep it? Jumpers are fairly easy to care for, i give them a set-up kind of like an arboreal tarantula (vertical, things to climb on)- they tend to stay up at the top of their home, and mostly only come down to eat. Jumpers do not build webs, but they will make a little sleeping-bag cubby hole that they rest and molt in, usually in a corner or hidey spot. They're a lot of fun, really.

If for some reason you can't get yours to eat, and it gets thin, it would be better to release it than to let it starve to death. At least, that's my opinion. :)

justinherran

Arachnopeon

im gonna keep em, i know this picture is awful he's teeny and i dont have an outstanding camera, but could anyone possibly tell me the species ??:wall:

kevin1995

Arachnopeon
Ahahah agreed those bulbs look like he is ready for some business

If you already got some fruit flies, maybe you can do it a little service and feed him before letting it go :D

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also releasing it helps to increase the population. He might not find a mate, but every little bit helps.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I agree with releasing to let him mate, but I disagree with the living and eating stuff.

Most mature male true spiders will continue to eat and live 6+ months beyond maturity. From my experience at least. Right now for example, I have a mature male Mimetid living in with a mature female and her egg sac. I've been feeding them both fruit flies, and even tho he is definitely full, he chowed down on at least two of the spiderlings when they hatched. As a mater of fact, I can only recall one mature male that refused to eat, and it was a mm Pimoa altioculata.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Just posting to agree with Ciphor. It's a far too general statement to say MMs are like that, especially with salticids where they often live almost as long as the females.
I'd say keep him if you want, just find him a girl or two so he feels accomplished. ;)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope you find him a girl or two. Though I gotta say, baby jumping spiders are even harder to find appropriate food for. Fruit flies, tiny leafhoppers and millers are usually pretty good.

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
Did you ever find out the species of this spider? I have found a similar looking one

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
My last male P. audax just died, it was mature when I found it back in Feb.

Males can actually live quite a while, NEARLY as long as females can.