Baby getting water

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So from my searches I found the most popular method for getting slings the water they need is misting one side of the enclosure every couple days. The problem I see with that is the small amount of time it takes for the water droplets to evaporate; almost no time at all. My C. cyaneopubescens is under 0.75 inches and I was wondering if anyone uses any method for getting water to a spider of such small stature other than misting.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Even the smallest bottle caps I can think of to serve as a water dish seem too big in my mind. Am I mistaken?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At that size, the substrate should be kept moist, if not wet, just not sopping wet. The sling will drink directly from the substrate, no need to spray the sides. Just wet a corner thoroughly for it to drink from.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
At that size, the substrate should be kept moist, if not wet, just not sopping wet. The sling will drink directly from the substrate, no need to spray the sides. Just wet a corner thoroughly for it to drink from.
Directly from the substrate. I see.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Directly from the substrate. I see.
It was one of those things that I didn't quite believe, until I saw it in real life for myself. Seems strange, but it is true. :)

edited to add the video:

It is a P. irminia that is doing the drinking and it is at 4:20. It is not my best filming, but you can see that it has its face buried in the substrate that had just been soaked a few minutes prior.

[YOUTUBE]ZhsLGLv8efI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It was one of those things that I didn't quite believe, until I saw it in real life for myself. Seems strange, but it is true. :)
It makes sense to me. The baby arrived from KTBG last Tuesday, and I awoke this morning to find it had molted. Can't wait till I start seeing some adult coloration, even though their abdomens as slings are still pretty cool looking. I'll make sure I thoroughly wet one corner when I get home.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So from my searches I found the most popular method for getting slings the water they need is misting one side of the enclosure every couple days. The problem I see with that is the small amount of time it takes for the water droplets to evaporate; almost no time at all. My C. cyaneopubescens is under 0.75 inches and I was wondering if anyone uses any method for getting water to a spider of such small stature other than misting.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Even the smallest bottle caps I can think of to serve as a water dish seem too big in my mind. Am I mistaken?
For the 1/3-of-an-inch A.brocklehursti I use a cap from the smallest plastic vials I have. Only takes one suck-up from an eye-dropper to fill. For the 1 inch GBBs I give them the plastic caps from milk gallons. They look a little wide for them but the dish space is shallow.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For the 1/3-of-an-inch A.brocklehursti I use a cap from the smallest plastic vials I have. Only takes one suck-up from an eye-dropper to fill. For the 1 inch GBBs I give them the plastic caps from milk gallons. They look a little wide for them but the dish space is shallow.
That's actually pretty crafty. May have to give that a shot, since it's just so darn dry here no matter what I do.

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice. I hadn't thought of that.
I also use a small shallow bottle cap for my GBB, he actually ran through it trying to catch his cricket ! So he can't drown because it's shallow but it has a nice surface area for drinking, since I keep his enclosure pretty much bone dry otherwise.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I also use a small shallow bottle cap for my GBB, he actually ran through it trying to catch his cricket ! So he can't drown because it's shallow but it has a nice surface area for drinking, since I keep his enclosure pretty much bone dry otherwise.
Shallow doesn't matter so much for drowning since the Ts booklungs are on the very bottom of the spider. However, Ts are waterproof (unless you get some kind of soap in the water), so they can't actually drown. To drown a T, you'd have to have soap in the water (which cancels their waterproofing), then they'd have to sit with their back end in the water long enough that the oxygen exchange stopped in all four booklungs. It would be challenging.