Baby forest scorpions

lilith 78

Arachnopeon
Hi . I’m a new member to this forum and was wondering if anyone could help with a question I have .
I have recently become the proud owner of two baby forest scorpions and my problem is they haven’t eaten since I got them 4 days ago . Any suggestions ?
cheers

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
4 days without eating is absolutely nothing to worry about. Scorpions don't eat everyday.
If you can get them to eat once per week you're a winner, once every two weeks is still in the normal range.
If your scorplings won't eat for a longer period there are some things to consider;
- temperature inside the enclosure during daytime and temperature during nighttime
- relative humidity inside the enclosure
- molting stage (pre-molt)
- quality/quantity of the substrate
You probably googled for some Asian forest scorpion care and found that they require a hot zone and a slightly cooler zone in the enclosure.
Hot zone about 28-33°C during daytime, heating turned off at sunset and during the entire night. The cooler zone should be about 5-8°C lower than the hot zone.
That way the scorpion can regulate its temperature by itself.
They require a relative humidity of 60-90%, it doesn't have to be at a stable value, it will swing up and down during the day.
You have a burrowing scorpion species that requires a layer of substrate of at least 8cm, a bit more is better.
The substrate will be a mix of coco fiber and potting soil and preferably some moss. (soil without any added chemicals of course)
It needs to be slightly moist/damp, the moss helps retain moisture.
A few hides (piece of bark, stone, coconut shell etc.) will go on top of the substrate, the scorpions often choose to make their burrow underneath a hide.
Since you have baby scorplings they will go through some molts in the coming months/years. Before actually molting, they will go into a stage often called 'pre molt'.
At pre-molt they will tend to stay hidden more/longer and also refuse to eat because their body needs to shrink inside their exoskeleton.
Pre molt can take a few weeks to sometimes 2-3 months. When it finally molts (often during the night) it also still won't eat.
Do not try to feed a scorpion during the first 10 days after a molt, the scorpion needs to rest and harden its exoskeleton.
Usually it will take 2 weeks after a molt for the scorpion to start eating again.
etc etc etc.... anyway, 4 days without eating is nothing to worry about. Scorpions are lousy eaters anyway !

lilith 78

Arachnopeon
4 days without eating is absolutely nothing to worry about. Scorpions don't eat everyday.
If you can get them to eat once per week you're a winner, once every two weeks is still in the normal range.
If your scorplings won't eat for a longer period there are some things to consider;
- temperature inside the enclosure during daytime and temperature during nighttime
- relative humidity inside the enclosure
- molting stage (pre-molt)
- quality/quantity of the substrate
You probably googled for some Asian forest scorpion care and found that they require a hot zone and a slightly cooler zone in the enclosure.
Hot zone about 28-33°C during daytime, heating turned off at sunset and during the entire night. The cooler zone should be about 5-8°C lower than the hot zone.
That way the scorpion can regulate its temperature by itself.
They require a relative humidity of 60-90%, it doesn't have to be at a stable value, it will swing up and down during the day.
You have a burrowing scorpion species that requires a layer of substrate of at least 8cm, a bit more is better.
The substrate will be a mix of coco fiber and potting soil and preferably some moss. (soil without any added chemicals of course)
It needs to be slightly moist/damp, the moss helps retain moisture.
A few hides (piece of bark, stone, coconut shell etc.) will go on top of the substrate, the scorpions often choose to make their burrow underneath a hide.
Since you have baby scorplings they will go through some molts in the coming months/years. Before actually molting, they will go into a stage often called 'pre molt'.
At pre-molt they will tend to stay hidden more/longer and also refuse to eat because their body needs to shrink inside their exoskeleton.
Pre molt can take a few weeks to sometimes 2-3 months. When it finally molts (often during the night) it also still won't eat.
Do not try to feed a scorpion during the first 10 days after a molt, the scorpion needs to rest and harden its exoskeleton.
Usually it will take 2 weeks after a molt for the scorpion to start eating again.
etc etc etc.... anyway, 4 days without eating is nothing to worry about. Scorpions are lousy eaters anyway !
Thanks for the advice . I think I’ve got there set up pretty much spot on to what you said 👍 and can relax a little now knowing that they are ok and it’s normal for them to not eat regularly .
cheers

BonnieClyde

Arachnopeon
Try prekilling and cutting some roaches in half for them. I thought my bark scorplings were just refusing food until I dropped some roach bits in there and they immediately ate the whole thing.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
if you're really worried about them not eating and they're not in premolt, they could just be scared, timid little things that won't dare take on an entire cockroach!! Their mother will feed them bits of freshly killed prey and they're quite happy to scavenge. So like others have said on here, try giving them bits of prey to scavenge.