Baby emps

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have 18 2nd instar emperors, but two of them are much smaller and lighter colored than all the rest. When they eat they don't eat much and don't get fat like the rest of the babies. Does anyone know what can be done?

-Olan

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All I can tell you is that the statistics I've read state that in the wild only about 1% of baby scorps make it to adulthood. So natural selection tells us they're not all supposed to make it. And anytime you've got a big litter, in any animal, you're going to end up with some weaker ones. Maybe that's just the case here. Sorry I can't help more,

Chris

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
If we were talking about widow spiders, I'd agree, Chris. Scorpions put out very few and very fit young, though. In captivity, where you remove predation, environmental fluctuation, provide lots of food etc., deaths like this should be rare. That is not to say that they won't happen. Certainly there will still be genetic defects and such -- especialy if a population is going into inbreeding depression.

Now, that being said, in this case I think you may be right. The two do sound like they're developmentaly delayed. I'd advise seperating them and raising them at a slightly elevated temperature.

Cheers,
Dave

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That makes sense, Dave. I've only ever lost a few babies. 2 emps to cannibalism and I accidently squished a baby C. gracilis. Other than that, all babies have been healthy. The 1% statistic comes from the Barron's scorpion book. I was just guessing that in this case these were part of the 99% that, for whatever reason, aren't supposed to make it (though yes, I realize that most of those 99%ers, if the book is correct, are due to enviromental/predation factors).

Chris