Baby Emps climbing off mother

scorpionguy77

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. My Emperor had babies two weeks ago today and one baby is off the back, though barely moving (the legs do move but barely). Is this a sign of a molt or death? I have the humidity at 80+ right now and the temp is 80-85 degrees. I have been having trouble maintaining humidity so I plastic wrapped have of the screen lid to the tank. Right now the mother is over the baby, guarding it and she is well fed, so I am hoping the odds of her consuming babies will be low. As of now there are no prey items in the tanks, I removed them on the chance more babies would be coming off and molting and I know crickets will attack and kill freshly molted babies. Basically, what I am looking for is how do I the babies are in a molt (movement, color change, etc) and will the mother standing over them the way she is be detremental the babies if she picks up on their movements and confuses them with a prey item? Any and all information, advice and/or expectations is welcome.

Thanks,

J

PS one baby came off her yesterday and actively explored the tank before returning, another reason I am concerned for this baby's lack of movement

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
They should be ready to molt into second instar. It is normal for them to explore the cage and then scurry back to the mother for protection when they are frightened.

The one you are worried about is probably about to molt. Signs of this are not moving. Their blood pressure increases and this splits their exoskeleton, and so they will not be moving except for short rapid movements during molting. Try not to disturb them and keep the humidity up, more like 90-100 percent humidiy rather than 80. My Tityus bastosi just molted this morning. I had never seen it in real life because I had just kept adult specimens, so I was a little anxious too. Don't worry that much.;):D

Edit: Also, be careful about covering the top and not allowing them to breathe. You probably won't do this but just to help.
The mother, if she is well fed, will probably not eat the babies. The male or other scorpions in the enclosure might, so if you haven't already, seperate her. Good luck!

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use a piece of glass as a top cover, with a 3mm hole in the center. It works perfect, never had any problem with the humidity.

Also, don't worry about your scorpions not able to breath: you have to make quite an effort to seal the tank in such a way that no air can be exchanged. Covering the top with plastic, and poke some small holes in it should be OK.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You want good ventilation and air flow though, John.
I've kept this species for 3 years in a tank covered with a piece of glass with a 3mm hole. No problem at all [1]. Maybe the pothos helps (although added later)?

current measurements: 23.1C (=73.6F) 79% Rh.

In my experience, the scorpions molt in their burrow(s), which has most likely a higher Rh and even less ventilation.

[1] except for periods of very cold weather (<15C) costing me several young ones (est. 5 out of 18).

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I've kept this species for 3 years in a tank covered with a piece of glass with a 3mm hole. No problem at all [1]. Maybe the pothos helps (although added later)?

In my experience, the scorpions molt in their burrow(s), which has most likely a higher Rh and even less ventilation.

[1] except for periods of very cold weather (<15C) costing me several young ones (est. 5 out of 18).
Sorry, wasn't trying to find fault with you or anything, just clarifying, maybe even for my own sake.;):D Good point about them molting in their burrows with even less ventilation.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No problem, it might be very well the case that I keep them very different from most people here, but so far so good.

scorpionguy77

Arachnopeon

Okay I did this for both my tanks tonight and you are right, the humidity definitely holds, but I will see how it holds up overnight (just cleaned out the tanks tonight so i have to let the temperature build up again). BTW John, what kind of heating system/source do you use? I have two heat mats in the upper left corner of the female's tank and one heat mat in the up left back wall of the male's tank, as well as a small space heater aimed (not directly) at the tanks. I want to do away with the space heater, especially with summer approaching (plus my wife insists that the heater made the electric bill almost triple???).

Thanks for all the advice so far. The one baby did, in fact die, but there are about 13 left, so I hope the rest of them will survive.