baby emperors

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My emperor is very pregnant and I think she will give birth soon. I was wondering if I should separate her from the male. Also I heard that It can be hard to prevent molting fatalities in scorpions. Is there some way to prevent this?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Olan,

If the female is indeed gravid (prego), I do recommend to remove the others, unless the tank is sufficient enough in size for them to avoid each other. Most tanks are not, so I would take him out. As long as the humidity and temps are well managed and maintained, you should have very few fatalities caused by this problem. The mother should be well fed prior to giving birth, otherwise, you'll find yourself attempting to protect the young from her. Keep her feeding soon even after the young are born. Use larger, disabled insects (adult locusts are great as well as small lizards which have been de-legged). You don't want the prey to attempt to attack the young scorps, nor do you want it to be capable of scaring the scorp from fast movement and causing her to spin (it will sling the young off her back and she'll have dinner, plus the number that come off, for desert. Also, use calcium dusted crickets for the female. Lack of calcium can cause scorpions to slow their ability to harden their new exoskeleton (apparently more common in H. spadix).

adios,
edw. =D

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. I'll take him out of there. Can I put him back in once they molt, or should I wait for them to get bigger?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would recommend you wait until they get bigger. Males have a tendency to fast for long periods of time and then make a meal out of anything near to them...including other scorps.

adios,
edw.