Baby emperor scorpion

Zevil

Arachnosquire
I'm a new scorpion keeper. Just bought a baby emperor scorpion about the size of my thumb nail excluding its tail. It came to me in a small container maybe about 10 times its size. Pretty small, with a thin layer of substrate. I did a research and realized they need deeper substrate. So I get a much bigger container with an inch of substrate, a bottle cap of water, cork bark flat for a hide, and a few moist sphagnum moss pieces. But after rehousing it into the bigger container, it kept trying to escape and running around. Is it not comfortable?

The picture is from its old container. Also when can I tell its gender?

Attachments

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Use a larger enclosure for him. At least 3 cm of soil, and a hide (I recommend using cork bark). Keep the enclosure moist.

Zevil

Arachnosquire
What is the ideal feeding schedule? I have been feeding it daily and now it sort of losing appetite. And how to tell when it's about to moult? Is it similar to a tarantula?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Loss of appetite (or the scorpion is simply full) is a sign of a moult but also with an impending moult there will be inactivity and the scorpion will become very still statuesque even, basically you should know intuitively. The tail may lie prone too. Best to leave it alone and give as little disturbance as possible during this period. And give it a week for the exoskeleton to harden and it should have its shiny black lustre once again.

Zevil

Arachnosquire
Loss of appetite (or the scorpion is simply full) is a sign of a moult but also with an impending moult there will be inactivity and the scorpion will become very still statuesque even, basically you should know intuitively. The tail may lie prone too. Best to leave it alone and give as little disturbance as possible during this period. And give it a week for the exoskeleton to harden and it should have its shiny black lustre once again.
It doesn't turn upside down like a tarantula right? It is kinda still.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
No, scorpions just basically pop the hood and crawl out. Although apparently some genus like to hang onto vertical surfaces and let gravity help.