Baby emperor help

Tittysprink

Arachnopeon
image.jpg Got this guy from an expo, the emperor was old enough to be seperated from the mother. I would have gotten an adult but it seemed the emperors were really hard to come by. Any tips on the care for this guy, would it be any different from an adult. Dude at the expo said he can just stay in this container until he gets bigger, being fed small crickets and a small misting intocthe container. You can see a small fricket right next to him, assuming its a male, and the container has no water dish for him.

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
Give it atleast an inch of damp substrate, something like coco fiber. They like dirt and humidity. They need something to hide under like a piece of wood. They don't need much room as babies.

Tittysprink

Arachnopeon
And about the feeding, i tried feeding him earlier and he didnt want none of it, guy i bought him from said he hasnt fed him in two days.

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
Just try and feed it every couple of days babies can go long times with out eating. My babies typically eat atleast once every 2 weeks

Tittysprink

Arachnopeon
Thanks, i was really worried the babies are very fragile and would die on me. $45 put to nothing.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A plus concerning buying juvs and babies is that if they stay healthy, you will have them to enjoy longer, longer than having an adult. Since you don't know how old an adult is when you buy it, it could die in a week of old age. It's almost like it's backwards, I could understand juvs costing more than adults because younger ones will live longer. You experience a molt or more, it's more interesting imo.

Tittysprink

Arachnopeon
Good point there, they seem really hard to come by to, all the other vendors at the expo only had asian red claw forest scorpions. Also, should i add a heat pad on topof the deli cup, and will he need a water dish when he is this small.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
You should give it a water dish. And some moist Coco fiber to burrow in and a hide.

Tittysprink

Arachnopeon
Added an inch of coco fiber, a small piece of curved cork bark for a hide, and a poland spring water cap with a very small amount of water to avoid drowning.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never needed to use waterdishes for my scorplings, just my colonies and gravid females. Just ensure it has water droplets to drink from once or twice a week. I agree with evereyone else on the cocofiber suggestions, however!

Tittysprink

Arachnopeon
Little guy seems alright so far, should i add my heating pad to the top of the deli cup to? I know they like to burrow to escape to heat so i shoudlnt add one to the bottom.

Tittysprink

Arachnopeon
I would say it ranges from 75 to 80, ive been keeping him nearby my snake terrarium that has a ceramic heat bulb installed so that the temp would stay consistent around 80 at the side of the snake terrarium. One more thing i would like to know is about feeding, am i able to just throw a cricket in and let him eat it at his leisure, or is it unsafe for the scorpion as it would be for a tarantula.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Tittysprink I would not use a heat pad, especially since the temperature is around 80 as is.

I am not sure where you read this but for feeding Tarantulas and Scorpions it should be as simple as throwing a cricket in there and letting it get it on its own. They have been doing it for gazillions of years. If you notice it still running around in there the next morning then remove the prey item and try again the following week. 90% of the time if you do not see the cricket get chomped right away you will wake up in the morning and find that it is gone.