baby cricket infestation?? please help!

ian robbins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just discovered baby crickets in my scorpion inclosure, how big of a problem is this?

I looked at them under a mag. glass to find out they where baby crix other wise I thougth mites but never seen those in person either just pic's

They are very small yet should I worrie they got into other cages? Could I be mistaking them for somthing else potentially more dangerous??

How worried should i be?

Advice appriciated dearly

~Ian

Steven.WK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you feed adult female crickets to your scorps then most likely they are baby crix. They should look like ants that jump around. You can use a shallow water dish to kill off most of them. If your scorp isn't bothered by them than I wouldn't worry too much.

In the future if you feed female crickets to your scorp. You might want to clip off the needle like ovipositor so they cannot lay any eggs.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Baby crickets die of dehydration rapidly. You can put in several water dishes around the enclosure and they will drown in them trying to drink. And if the substrate is not bone dry, let it get that way. They will all be gone within the week.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In the future if you feed female crickets to your scorp. You might want to clip off the needle like ovipositor so they cannot lay any eggs.
Actually if you clip the ovipositor off, they'll still be able to lay eggs. If you bend the ovipositor at a 45* angle (or as close as you can get), the eggs will get stuck in the chute and render the ovipositor useless.

Or...just start a roach colony.

Damien

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had the same problem and followed the above advice of putting several large but shallow water dishes around the enclosure, and most baby crickets were floating around in them by the end of the day. It's like they're lemmings or something.