Baby Bark Scorpion

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey J, I couldn't find much about that light. It may be even better than mine! But I don't know. At some point, you have to pay for quality parts if you want them. I don't know how big those led's are, and I prefer the wavelength on mine 390nm to it's 395nm, although for some it wouldn't matter and others may prefer 395. I would like to look at that one some time and see how it works, how it's made. Mine is machined metal. Looks pretty well put together. (I am extrordinarily tough on stuff. I can destroy carhartts in a week) In fact, my light took an 8 foot fall onto the same rock my knee did sat night and it didn't turn off. I think most led flashlights I have seen would have been in 40 pieces from that. *But I haven't seen that one, maybe it's good, maybe not, but I can only recommend what I have used, as I don't think the cheapest version of something is always a bargain! I need stuff to last more than week. heck, I go hunting often enough j, that I need get a back up cause I know I will even break this one someday soon enough. And I am not living without a light anymore. :)

Ryan,
there is a similar UV flashlight on Ebay that you can get for under $20 (shipping included). It looks the same, except there are 51 UV LED instead of 49. you always want to shop around.
I got mine for $13 (shipping included). let me give you the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/51-UV-395-nm-Ul...QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f0QQsalenotsupported

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hehe, I need coffee

O.k. so I admit it, I am posting before coffee. It's bad. I shouldn't. I know.
Anyway, so J, I didn't read your post right and missed that you got one. Tell me how big those leds are. (you can pm) they should be in mm. 1-5 usually
Is it metal, plastic? Have you used it yet outside? How does it work for you?
Keep me posted on how tough it is. I could use the money savings if I don't break them all the time. :) Let me know more about it. But for those who break stuff a lot, I know mine is tough. but a lot of you won't be falling down the sides of cliffs very often and probably don't need machined metal, now that I am thinking about it... ah, well, anyway, I think I smell the coffee, mmm gotta get some, ryan

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You're welcome. They are very surprising at first. When I first saw them, I thought mine had a disease. :) Deli cups work great. You can poke some holes in them with a safety pin. As far as what to put in it, I would go to a gardening store and get either coco (shredded coconut husk) or peat moss.
Look at label to make sure nothing like fertilizer is added to it and you will have professional level scorpion substrate. If you need a lot, peat is cheapest. If you are only going to keep a few at a time to ship out, I would get a brick of coco for about $2.50-$3, but you have to go to good gardening store, maybe hydroponic store, to get them. Peat can be had at lowes/home depot in huge bales really cheap, that will last you a long, long time. A cotton ball is never recommended because they are the perfect vector for molds, bacteria, and disease. They will go "bad" quickly. That said, if you took it out every 24-48 hours and replaced with new clean one, you may get away with it. Otherwise you will end up with a Mold ball soon.
If the little one likes it, don't worry, go ahead and keep it in if you want, it can probably still drink off of it. The adults can't. They need a little water dish (soda/water cap). any thing else, just shoot :)

Neat, thanks!!! I was a little surprised when I was looking at it this morning and saw those! I'll feed the little guy while I have him, no one starves in my house (unless they piss me off). If I ever find the one that stung me upstairs, HE will starve :)
I'll have to go get some deli cups I guess, what would I put in it?? My baby loves his wet cotton ball, he's on it every morning, would that be good for the larger one?
Thank you!!!!

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You're welcome. They are very surprising at first. When I first saw them, I thought mine had a disease. :) Deli cups work great. You can poke some holes in them with a safety pin. As far as what to put in it, I would go to a gardening store and get either coco (shredded coconut husk) or peat moss.
Look at label to make sure nothing like fertilizer is added to it and you will have professional level scorpion substrate. If you need a lot, peat is cheapest. If you are only going to keep a few at a time to ship out, I would get a brick of coco for about $2.50-$3, but you have to go to good gardening store, maybe hydroponic store, to get them. Peat can be had at lowes/home depot in huge bales really cheap, that will last you a long, long time. A cotton ball is never recommended because they are the perfect vector for molds, bacteria, and disease. They will go "bad" quickly. That said, if you took it out every 24-48 hours and replaced with new clean one, you may get away with it. Otherwise you will end up with a Mold ball soon.
If the little one likes it, don't worry, go ahead and keep it in if you want, it can probably still drink off of it. The adults can't. They need a little water dish (soda/water cap). any thing else, just shoot :)
Okay, sounds good!!! Thanks! I'll use the cotton ball changed every evening for the little one til he's bigger, his brother died in a single drop of water... Thanks for all the advice!!!!!!!!

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No problem, enjoy them! One of the wonders of our world. Amazing creatures huh? I started collecting them to trade for t's, it didn't take long for me to start filling my room with them though. :) Now I am about equal with each if you don't include my scorplings. :)

Okay, sounds good!!! Thanks! I'll use the cotton ball changed every evening for the little one til he's bigger, his brother died in a single drop of water... Thanks for all the advice!!!!!!!!

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
O.k. so I admit it, I am posting before coffee. It's bad. I shouldn't. I know.
Anyway, so J, I didn't read your post right and missed that you got one. Tell me how big those leds are. (you can pm) they should be in mm. 1-5 usually
Is it metal, plastic? Have you used it yet outside? How does it work for you?
Keep me posted on how tough it is. I could use the money savings if I don't break them all the time. :) Let me know more about it. But for those who break stuff a lot, I know mine is tough. but a lot of you won't be falling down the sides of cliffs very often and probably don't need machined metal, now that I am thinking about it... ah, well, anyway, I think I smell the coffee, mmm gotta get some, ryan
Hi Ryan,
sorry, i have been keeping up with most of these scorpion threads lately.
the LED are 5 mm each.
the material is "Rugged, machined aluminum construction with knurled design"
and i haven't use it in the field (outside) yet, but probably will sometime this weekend.
btw, you can buy a holster for it too, it's only $1.75 with free shipping if you buy the flashlight.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I a large jar would be fine for 1 sculpt. it's whole life. a ten gal. would be over kill on a baby that small. 1 adult would be fine in a kritter keeper.
Are you sure a kritter keeper will keep a scorpion in?? They can't get out? I just got one, but am kind of nervous about it...

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep, Even though arboreal, They can't climb smooth surfaces.
If you have some extras, I'm still open to take them for you lol. :D

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, Even though arboreal, They can't climb smooth surfaces.
If you have some extras, I'm still open to take them for you lol. :D
looking for ten or more is a lot of work, and my husband does not want me to keep a stock of them in the house, LOL! I go out a few time a week to hunt for them in my yard... Plus, what would it cost to ship them and all that other stuff....

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Depends on the scorpion. I just had a D. Lindo escape from one. I don't know how. :? It's claws alone were bigger than the openings.....

Are you sure a kritter keeper will keep a scorpion in?? They can't get out? I just got one, but am kind of nervous about it...

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is work, I know, I hunt them. (not in my back yard though)
As far as shipping goes, you would need a little packing stuff up front, but you would charge whoever is getting them shipping. So if you wanted to send Warren some, you would say hey warren, I need $15-$25 bucks for shipping.
He sends you a check or paypal, then you ship. It's still work though, and I don't give them away myself, but I certainly don't want to discourage that, as I think it's a wonderful thing to do,... But if you do it a lot, doing packing, and going to post office to wait in line for half hour, ect, it starts adding up.
Good luck, keep the questions coming! ;)

looking for ten or more is a lot of work, and my husband does not want me to keep a stock of them in the house, LOL! I go out a few time a week to hunt for them in my yard... Plus, what would it cost to ship them and all that other stuff....

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depends on the scorpion. I just had a D. Lindo escape from one. I don't know how. :? It's claws alone were bigger than the openings.....
Oh No, really!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: I just put him in one... How many baby crickets can you put in at a time??? Do you think he'll get out, should I put him back in the jar, this is a adult that I caught (I think, I'll post a pic. later today) , still just and inch and a half or so, but, don't want it out. He looked so happy running all over the bark and checking everything out... WHAT SHOULD I DO!

Thank you

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is work, I know, I hunt them. (not in my back yard though)
As far as shipping goes, you would need a little packing stuff up front, but you would charge whoever is getting them shipping. So if you wanted to send Warren some, you would say hey warren, I need $15-$25 bucks for shipping.
He sends you a check or paypal, then you ship. It's still work though, and I don't give them away myself, but I certainly don't want to discourage that, as I think it's a wonderful thing to do,... But if you do it a lot, doing packing, and going to post office to wait in line for half hour, ect, it starts adding up.
Good luck, keep the questions coming! ;)

I'm waiting for Warren to respond and let me know... I was pricing the coco, plus I need the deli cups and boxes to ship, not to mention dragging the kids around in 111 degree heat (per my car). I'd like to make a little something, nothing crazy, but at least my hubby won't think I'm insane for doing this. He wants them all killed. I don't want to do it wrong, so I have to make an investment into the stuff for the little guys... Not too much, but still, I'm on stay at home mom income... :)

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh No, really!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: I just put him in one... How many baby crickets can you put in at a time??? Do you think he'll get out, should I put him back in the jar, this is a adult that I caught (I think, I'll post a pic. later today) , still just and inch and a half or so, but, don't want it out. He looked so happy running all over the bark and checking everything out... WHAT SHOULD I DO!

Thank you
Lol, it's ok, don't PANIC!!!!

well, as long as he is bigger than the vents or any opening, then you should be ok.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like the same one I got. :? I am going to order one soon and see!

Hi Ryan,
sorry, i have been keeping up with most of these scorpion threads lately.
the LED are 5 mm each.
the material is "Rugged, machined aluminum construction with knurled design"
and i haven't use it in the field (outside) yet, but probably will sometime this weekend.
btw, you can buy a holster for it too, it's only $1.75 with free shipping if you buy the flashlight.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like the same one I got. :? I am going to order one soon and see!
Ok, now remember try not to spend more than $20 for this one.
just because it cost more or because people are very nice to you when they're selling you stuff, doesn't mean that it would be better quality...

Lol ;P

just playing with you man

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lol, don't worry

If it's bigger than the bars, (while normal weight, not stuffed full) you shouldn't have a problem. I keep fairly small barks in kk and haven't had any escape, that I know of anyway! :D I wouldn't put anything too small in there though. Anything under inch should def. go in deli cup with safety pin holes imo. :) And vittatus can sure as heck climb kk's. I have mine in an almost new one and I had one on lid just hour ago. I have had a reddelli hanging on it's lid too, although that cage is a little scratched. I am just saying, especially with Centruroides sp., don't expect their "inability" to climb the walls as your "lid". FYI, flip over your lid of kk. Where the handle connects? OH, take off the handle. Now, where it connected? Tape that up. Yeah, Just tape it up. :) Otherwise, if it can't fit through the bars, you are good. But remember, just cause they are 1/8th of an inch thick, doesn't mean they can slide out of a smaller diameter whole. They can "squeeze" them selves down some, how much?< I can't say, not a whole lot, but just give yourself a little breathing room if they make you nervous. One other option, if you still want to use it, but are worried, you can take plastic window screen, cut 1" over on each side, and just put it over before you put top on. It will stay taught and make you relax. Just keep an eye out when you open it, cause they will hang on it. :) Ryan

Thank you

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Orchid, just make sure whatever you use to keep the scorpions in that the lid is very strongly secured with NO space anywhere. C. sculpts are escape artists. I've seen them easily crawl up the glue that holds the side of the glass together. One even got out of the mason jar which I got lazy and didn't put a lid in - the only thing I can figure is he got a foothold where the glass is textured by the name. They are Houdini in disguise.

If you do start mailing them out, it can be a pain but I try to keep it simple. I get free boxes from the post office online, use cheap things to mail them in, and print my postage at home. If you print at home you can even have them come to your house the same day and pick it up for free. I haven't done that thought because it is way too hot out. I'm not sure the ones I sent out on Monday are going to survive the heat. I'm waiting to hear.

But yes, it does cost money, the tape, containers, not to mention your time so making some money off it is not a bad thing! Warren is being greedy - you don't need to send him double digits. 4 or 5 is plenty. They breed like crazy! I get 4, 5 if it is the same night, and ship....

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I know J! hehe, but I also know, that for every good deal, there is another "good" deal that just falls apart on me. I could name quiet a few... And at least if I am paying a lot, I know they know to expect me to want a replacement if it doesn't work, etc. I REALLY don't buy many things (that aren't related to or are arachnids). So when I do actually buy something new, I want it to work and work well. If I pay too much sometimes, ah well, It's not very often, and I don't ever have to throw stuff away. :)
But sometimes, you can find the same thing cheaper. I think you may have... Good work, but It still has to pass the "falling down a cliff with Ryan test!" :D

Ok, now remember try not to spend more than $20 for this one.
just because it cost more or because people are very nice to you when they're selling you stuff, doesn't mean that it would be better quality...

Lol ;P

just playing with you man

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's the one I caught the other night and it's cage, I put it next to a goldfish cracker so you could see it's size. Do you think this kritter keeper is okay, will it keep it in??

Last edited: