Baby Bark Scorpion

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,
I'm new here. I'm in Las Vegas NV and have Bark Scorpions in my yard. I found a baby (or two) in my house and kept one. I've yet to see him eat. He's just a little guy, about the size of half my pinkie nail. I've tried to feed him crickets both pin head and killed larger ones for him. I've given him a wet cotton ball for water. Any advise?? Thank you
I'm not sure how to get a picture up or I would post one.
Thank you!!

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would feed mine smashed small crix. not just the head but smashed completely. They much on it till full.

What are you keeping the little bugger in?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It happens sometimes they just won't eat. Try to keep the conditions right. Oh and try to learn scientific names since there are TONS of bark scorpions. I'm sure you have Centruroides sculpturatus (or just C.sculpturatus). Here a caresheet fot C. vittatus. The only thing I would change is that your species doesn't handle humidity as well and the venom is medically significant and woud rate at 3/5 instead of 2/5

http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/caresheets-f29/centruroides-vittatus-t1132.htm

-Eddy

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would feed mine smashed small crix. not just the head but smashed completely. They much on it till full.

What are you keeping the little bugger in?
A very large pickle Jar!! I wasn't sure originally if I was going to keep him, but he's grown on us, even my husband likes him!! I had his big cousin in there for a night, but he was too big, neat under a black light! I'd put up a picture if I could figure out how to do it. I'd like to get him a ten gallon, but I'm worried about him being able to climb up the sides, he's so small, he'd be able to grab the silicon corner things. Plus, I don't think they make mesh tops small enough to keep him in. I have the small dirt gravel that was in my yard and a little plastic palm tree for him, or really me, I thought it was fun...
I'll smash them up a little bit more for him.. How long will it take him to eat a whole cricket?? He's tiny, I mean really tiny!!
Thank you

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It happens sometimes they just won't eat. Try to keep the conditions right. Oh and try to learn scientific names since there are TONS of bark scorpions. I'm sure you have Centruroides sculpturatus (or just C.sculpturatus). Here a caresheet fot C. vittatus. The only thing I would change is that your species doesn't handle humidity as well and the venom is medically significant and woud rate at 3/5 instead of 2/5

http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/caresheets-f29/centruroides-vittatus-t1132.htm

-Eddy
Sorry, I'm new. I'll try to find his real name. I need to call the Dept. of Agriculture and find out from them... I know that these came in from Arizona and that they have a nasty sting. But I'm learning, that's why I'm here....
Thank you for the care sheets!!

MorbidPh8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I a large jar would be fine for 1 sculpt. it's whole life. a ten gal. would be over kill on a baby that small. 1 adult would be fine in a kritter keeper.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I'm trying to put up a picture of one I caught, but, I'm not sure if it worked. How do I get the picture up?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
when you post next reply, scroll below to additional options, under attach files, is manage attachments, choose the file (under 1240x1240 pixels I believe), and then upload it, after it uploads, make sure your text is right and post it.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
when you post next reply, scroll below to additional options, under attach files, is manage attachments, choose the file (under 1240x1240 pixels I believe), and then upload it, after it uploads, make sure your text is right and post it.
Not sure if it worked. But the little scorpion in this picture is the one I kept, the larger one I found on my wall outside... The long white thing next to the large scorpion is a cotton ball.
Thanks for your help putting up a picture!!!

Last edited:

MorbidPh8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice sculpts! I have a female that gave me 7 babies. Mine was found in Laughlin NV. Technically we have Nevada bark scorpions.. lol That baby will be happy in a deli cup for a while. Oh btw don't need the cotton ball just mist a portion of the substrate. IE: if in a jar just mist the sides and ground of a 1/4 of it. Scuplts like a bit of humidity, but they are a desert species. They don't need tropical.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice sculpts! I have a female that gave me 7 babies. Mine was found in Laughlin NV. Technically we have Nevada bark scorpions.. lol That baby will be happy in a deli cup for a while. Oh btw don't need the cotton ball just mist a portion of the substrate. IE: if in a jar just mist the sides and ground of a 1/4 of it. Scuplts like a bit of humidity, but they are a desert species. They don't need tropical.
OMG, I don't want anymore babies!! We named him Curly :) I'll take the cotton ball out in the morning. Thank you for the info.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yup its a C. sculpt alright. Just make sure it has some type of vertical climb. A piece of cork bark, or whatever you can find that it'll climb. It'll be fine a delicup for now and you can upgrade it a little later on in it's life it's not gonna get to big. Let me know if you find some more you don't want ;)

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
since he is just a baby you should do some research on how scorpions grow, because if you don't know and disturb him a lot when he trying to molt, you're gonna end up killing him.

and you should put him in a small container for now so that you can spot him easier and so that he can easily find his prey.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have one more question. I did find two babies this size in my house, based on their size, do you think they fell off their mothers back while she was visiting??

Last edited:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have one more question. I did find two babies this size in my house, based on their size, do you think they feel off their mothers back while she was visiting??
That baby looks like it was ready to leave. In fact it might be 3i all ready.
John

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So, he probable was not on his mothers back?? What's 3i mean. Sorry to be so uninformed. Thank you for your help!!!

I think it was off of mom's back. 3i means third instar. Instars are the number of molts. So 3i means it has molted 3 times. Scorpions leave their mothers soon after reaching second instar or 2i.

John

alexi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it was off of mom's back. 3i means third instar. Instars are the number of molts. So 3i means it has molted 3 times. Scorpions leave their mothers soon after reaching second instar or 2i.

John
eh that means the birthing counts as a molt then? Didn't realize that but I guess it makes sense.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Orchid! Hey cool, another rookie with bark scorpions, aka Centruroides sculpturatus. The people on this board are pretty cool and helpful. You have the same scorpions running around house that I do! Welcome. Oh, and a girl too. :)

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

John
Thank you so much. That really does make me feel better. I keep looking for his 30 brothers and sisters around the house!! So, I guess this means he's a toddler?? LOL