Baby bananna slugs

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had quite a few little babies hatch. It takes about a month for the eggs to develop. Bananna slugs come in a wide range of colors (not just yellow) so I'm hoping to breed a few different colors just for fun. So far I've had a few dark colored ones hatch. I'm hoping they'll have more distinct spots and colors when they get a little bigger.
I usually feed them lettuce and veggies but I thought I would try some apple. The adults ate it but it was too tough for the little guys.

I keep the babies separate, but I must have left an egg in the adult tank. I found this little guy hanging out with his parents.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All I know is snails and slugs LOVE cuttlebone and dry dog or cat kibble, it's insane how they are attracted to that stuff! Bananas are another favorite.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What other colors do they come in and are they legal to own? Those look really cool but not the bright yellow I have seen in books and on TV. Do they get any bigger?

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Banana slugs are native to California. They can grow up 9" supposedly but I've only seen ones around 5-6". I'm not sure about the legalities of shipping them to other states. I think all slugs are lumped into the "potential pest" category though.
They actually come in a wide variety of colors. From bright solid yellow to spotted or a brownish color. I've even seen pics of white ones.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
SWEET none the less you definetly have the sterotypical banana colored ones. Keep us updated these are really cool, I look forward to your breeding efforts of differnt colors.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Slugs are cool little things... You can find them everywhere I thought though. Just turn over a ton of rocks and you should find 'em.

Ed

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah ive got a bunch of the yellows aswell they are getting huge,but no eggs yet,but i'm pretty sure they will lay some aswell(i hope) i feed mine romain lettuce,cucumber(they go nuts over it)and apples too,good luck with the babies,i had the spotted forms in the past,they kinda look like the gateway computer patterns{D awesome slugs!:clap:

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here in Vancouver we get them 9" if not more and they actually have a slightly greenish yellow color to them and brown patches that make them look like rotting bananas. HUGE slugs though

chrispy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
congrats again

Congrats on the babies.They all look like the yellows. Do you have the spotted banannas seperated? Do they keep their spots as they age?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've seen some HUGE ones here in Oregon. Huzzah to the Pacific NW! :D

We have one in the BugZoo here named "Booger." Everyone thinks it's gross, but it's still kinda cute.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not sure when or if they will get spots. I thought they might develop as they get older. I saw a website that said they can grow up to 12". I can't even imagine a slug that long. They're only the second largest in the world too.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Slugs creep me out a little*, I admit it; but your babies, especially the one in the second photo, are kind of endearing. :)

*Definitely not as much as your new avatar, though.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spotted or white would be nice, orange or green would look cool if they came in those colors.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice little slugs, i just wish they were legal here, i'd have a hard time resisting to get some of those little yellow guys :). Those things, even their name always make me smile!!!!

phil.