baby A. gigas!

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
just got these little guys in today and they are just beautiful!!! any care suggestions? they are TINY!

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you sure they're A. gigas? I've never seen babies though, but adult A. gigas doesn't have that color (or maybe they just molted, but that would be surprising to have 2 millis molting at the same time)

Frank

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Those really are babies. They start out completely white and look a bit like maggots, so at least they are past that stage. As for taking care of them, plenty of moist peat moss and dried oak tree leaves, along with some decaying wood. If you've got some reptile calcium you can add a sprinkle or two here and there for them, but if you've got the oak leaves it isn't really needed. Give them cucumber or other greens like romain lettuce, kale, and dandilion leaves, apples, even carrot. You can occassionally offer them moistened dog/cat food, but you need to remove it the next day, as the bad mites like to eat this too. You might want to add a mayo type lid filled with water and lots of pebbles so they won't drown in one corner, or just feed them plenty of fresh veggies with a good misting on the oak leaves. This is how I maintain mine and I don't have to worry with the water dish. These are very young so you might want them a bit moister than for the adults, but don't let it get soggy... Otherwise, you don't need to do much with them, maybe remove what veggies that are visably rotted if it offends you. The millipedes don't care, they'll eat them. I just add more oak and peat moss when the levels are getting short, as they eat the substrate too. I've never had to clean their tank, and if they have babies in the future they need to have scat in there for the babies to eat so they can properly digest their food. They get these organisms that aide in digestion from thier parents by eating that... nasty sounding to us humans but for the little millis it is very needed. And changing the substrate later when they are grown could also get rid of a whole clutch of eggs, as they look exactly like the droppings. I handle mine on occassion, but they have a nasty habit of using the bathroom on me when they want to be left alone. I've never had AGBs excrete other chemicals on me, but they can... Just remember to wash your hands after handling them, as if they do excrete it will stain your hands for a few days... Here's a couple adults of mine feasting on day old cucumber and squash. Mine are pigs and had almost all their salad gone the next evening. I give them a good amount once a week, and then they might get a small treat a few days after they finish the big meal off... Other than the cucumbers, fallen oak leaves :} are their favorite dinner. And I give them as many of these as they can eat. They'll surprise you at how much they can go through in a short time...
;) :cool: :D :p

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Here's a picture that includes a youngster I had to dig out. It had made it to the brown stage... They get darker with each molt

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
the millies are right now about 1/2" and amazingly thin. lol. :) i dunno about the mayo jar with water, i mean, this little guys could disappear if you blink. hehehe. i'm keeping the soil very moist and actually right now they are dining on kale and parsley. :) beautiful little guys. ah, i wish i could increase their growth rate. i was told they it could take them 2-3 years just to reach a few centimeters. still, it will be thrilling to watch them grow!!! |D i'm very excited.

guess i need a few more. ;) hehehe.

thanks mendi, i read up a lot on them and i know about their care and especially their happy staining habits. (grin) don't worry, having kingsnakes i obsessively wash before and after handling any animal. thank you! you're always looking out for me. |D

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Skadi, you wouldn't have an humidity too high, high enough for them to molt, but not more, because mites loves humidity and you can start having alot of mites (like it did for me, even if I dryed the peat moss, I had to clean them and they don't like to have water on them.. they really don't like to.)

2-3 years to get a few cm is wrong. I don't have mine for so long but some people there got babies (new borns) to reach 6 inches after 2 years, that's more than a few cm ;)

Feed them alot and they'll grow alot :)

Frank