Baboon Tarantulas

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I've seen baboon in the common name of many different genuses and species, but what is similar between them that gives them the baboon name?

Abyss

Arachnoknight
In my experience it just is a well known common name an pet atores like well lnown because when they use it it = sale lol

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
If i remember correctly baboon is because they have tarsi that remind of baboon feet or something along that line

Abyss

Arachnoknight
All kidding aside, are you trying to find a correlation between "baboons" as you would "pink toes"?
Meaning they are all commonly called pink toes due to the visible pink toe? Cause i have never seen a T i wouod say resembled a baboon. If thats the case, i have no clue what the correlation would be an awate a valid answer for ya cause im curious now lol.
Attitude maybe?

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
All kidding aside, are you trying to find a correlation between "baboons" as you would "pink toes"?
Meaning they are all commonly called pink toes due to the visible pink toe? Cause i have never seen a T i wouod say resembled a baboon. If thats the case, i have no clue what the correlation would be an awate a valid answer for ya cause im curious now lol.
Attitude maybe?
Supposedly it's because baboons actually eat the tarantulas... not sure if I buy that, considering how friggin nasty most African spp. Are. I was unable to find any documented occurrence of a baboon eating a tarantula.

obie

Arachnosquire
I read that also, about the baboons eating the T's.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I always thought 'baboon' meant that the species came from Africa?? I thought that was the only reason lol, don't know why exactly they call them baboons though

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It refers to the look of the front pairs of legs looking like baboon fingers... personally, I don't see it.

I prefer the similarity of personality, though.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Attitude maybe?
You hit the nail on the head. It's their attitude. Baboons are particularly nasty in temperament and i've heard from locals in S. Africa that this is where the name came from. The pet store theory would be plausible too, i'd imagine lol.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
You hit the nail on the head. It's their attitude. Baboons are particularly nasty in temperament and i've heard from locals in S. Africa that this is where the name came from. The pet store theory would be plausible too, i'd imagine lol.
Yea haha i figured the pet store tgought was fully plausable hahaha

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's because those ('Baboons') are unruly like pre-Thatcher Hooligans (bring back the terraces, btw) while Asians T's are more into a cold blood "serial killers" attitude.

^ My bro TownesVanZandt quote of once :)