1. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Baboon Spiders of Southern Africa - A Pictorial Guide

Discussion in 'Book and Magazine Reviews' started by metallica, Jan 5, 2010.

1. metallica

metallica Arachnoking Old Timer

Advertisement
    Book review:
    Baboon Spiders of Southern Africa - A Pictorial Guide
    by Patrick Gildenhuys
    Publisher: Cadiz street Publishing
    December 2009

December 31 i received a package from South Africa, just before i was going to leave to head to friends for new years. Icould not fight temptation and opened the package. Sure enough out came a hardcover copy of the Pictorial Guide by Patrick Gildenhuys. ok, only time for a little peek inside. All i can say is WOW! beautiful printing!

ok, now i have had a bit more time to read the book and as Patrick asked me to give an honest review, here we go!

As said above the printing is beautiful. not only are the photos in focus, Patrick took the trouble to photograph all the diffrent spiders on the same substrate. this way you can really see all the little color nuances. Personally i never knew the diversity in the tarantulas of South Africa was so great. the book not only shows species i have never seen, there are whole genera never seen in the hobby.

every chapter deals with an South African province, the habitat and the various species known from there. And in this come a big difficulty for Patrick.
    without researching all the original type specimens you can't be sure with what species you are dealing with. Patrick dealt with this by naming uncertain identifications just as sp. So expect a load of Harpactira sp, Harpactirella sp and so on.

in conclusion, for who is this book?
    this is no "Tarantula keepers guide" nor an "identification guide" but just as what it is called a Pictorial guide. the perfect supliment to the Baboon Spider publications by Andrew Smith and A.S. Dippenaar-Schoeman.
    a jewl in the bookcase of every tarantula enthousiast. and as this is all about the photographs, i wanted the best version out there: the hard cover edition.

Patrick, thank you for taking the time to introduce the rest of the world to the tarantulas of South Africa, this really is a book to be proud of!

Eddy

more info on the book, the author and ordering:
    http://www.baboonspiders.co.za/

2. Zoltan

Zoltan Cult Leader

POSITIVE

I received my copy of the book yesterday. I can't really add much to what Eddy said though. I think this book is awesome. It contains a ton of high-quality pictures, some of species probably never photographed before. A must have for the serious African fan! Thanks Patrick!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  3. ftorres

ftorres Arachnobaron Old Timer

Hello,
    I got my copy a few months ago, and I agree with the others. The book is a great pictorial of the different Tarantulas of Southern Africa.

thanks

francisco

4. Shaka

Shaka Arachnopeon

Got my copy yesterday... yes i live in SA and only found out about the book recently :(

But what a beautiful book, very well laid out, tons of awesome pictures and even has a size guide at the bottom of each page to show th difference in centimetres between males and females of the pictured species.

Some have females up to 16cm (5 inches +) with mature males only reaching 3cm (1 inch).

Includes photos of the stunning specimen featured on the Front page thought to be the rarely seen Harpactira Pulchripes, and other rarely seen Baboon T's.

A must buy, worth every cent!

Shaka

5. patrick86

patrick86 Arachnoknight Old Timer

It is indeed a one of a kind book. The author did a wonderful job of photographing and putting the book together. If you're a baboon tarantula fan you must have this book.

6. Nerri1029

Nerri1029 Chief Cook n Bottlewasher Old Timer

Eddy summed up my thoughts as well in his review.

Since I am an African Tarantula fan I was interested in this book since I first heard about it.
    While I grab other books to look up husbandry info, I grab this one to show off T's to those who keep them and those who do not have any spiders (yet)
    people are always impressed with how much went into this book, and how well it turned out.

I don't do many spider presentations but when I do this book will now be part of my props.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.