Babies!!!!

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
one of my arizona bark scorpions has a back o' babies. unfortunately, she went back into her communal hide log (which i can't pry her out of) before i could corral her.

they looked freshly hatched. hopefully she'll come out again soon... it's hard to mess around in there with 6 little guys who don't want to be bothered.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:clap: Congratulations:clap: which species is it? I know its Centruroides something but dont know which one. pictures to come?

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Centruroides exilicauda

i'll take pictures as soon as i see her again :)

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Kitty, congrats on the brood! I'm curious if these are gertschi or the normal yellow morph. I've been wanting a solo juvenile gertschi for a while. Congrats again!! Any estimation on the brood size?

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i didn't get a clear look.... but i'd say around 10 babies.

i believe they're the normal yellow morph.

SHE NEEDS TO COME OUT so i can relocate her! arg....

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i caught her! and she definitely didn't want to be caught...

anyway, i've got her in temporary housing (a tall deli container on peat/sand).

can anyone recommend anything that i should provide her or her babies? i know she would like a bigger container, with climbing spots. i also know the babies can get dried out if it's too warm.

oh, and pictures!

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Congrats on the babies!
I would just put a climb in as you mentioned and a small water dish. Your container size is fine, it will make it easier to find the babies when they come off her back. The babies molt into 2I really fast (mine were 2I in 3 days).
I haven't had any fatalities with mine but they certainly aren't as fast growing/easy as C. vittatus IME.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Congrats on the babies, C. exilicauda are great scorps...

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Stupid to say but better to add it in.. make sure you don't feed her for a bit so she doesn't get mad and start wanting to eat some babies.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i never thought offering food would make her eat her own young.

anyway, her climbing slate was too tall, and so she was hanging upside down from the lid. i worried that the babies would fall when it was time to molt, so i've broken down the slate to a height where she can't reach the lid.

these are my first clutch of ANYTHING (all my tarantulas molted out before laying sacs). i hope they all molt safely so i can segregate and raise them soon. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrats! I hope everything goes well, my C.vittatus female gave birth but none of the babies were good, they just dropped and died. It was pretty sad. I wish you luck that your C. exilicauda scorplings thrive.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i never thought offering food would make her eat her own young.

anyway, her climbing slate was too tall, and so she was hanging upside down from the lid. i worried that the babies would fall when it was time to molt, so i've broken down the slate to a height where she can't reach the lid.

these are my first clutch of ANYTHING (all my tarantulas molted out before laying sacs). i hope they all molt safely so i can segregate and raise them soon. :)

I do think that they molt vertically, so they so be okay... A good mom will pick the stragglers up most of the time, and once they are I2 they should be able to survive small trips off the back so you can worry less then. If I'm wrong , or off a bit someone will correct me, but I think thats good.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would have expected molts by now (judging by what people have said), but nothing yet. :?

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
EEP! just spotted another female with babies. i managed to catch her as well. the clutch does not look quite as big as the other one.

polphot

Arachnopeon
whoaa lucky lucky you! {D Congratulations on your two broodlings!

... now where do i find that lucky charm to get me two broodlings:) better yet i need to get a hunky hunky h.longimanus.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
kitty_b,

I've succesfully raised 3 clutches of excilicauda. I sold most at 2nd and kept 5 with me. The slings are all 5th instar now. I would suggest that you place a piece of branch that can double as a climb and hide. They are climbers but the female will look for a retreat when threatened. You may feed the mom a small cricket, just make sure you clip the hind legs so that it will not jump around. As soon as the slings leave their mom, you may place them in separate containers with a bark climb (this is important!) for better survival rate. I fed my slings a combination of termites and pinheads. Mist the side of the container just to provide enough moisture droplets. I do this once a week for slings. This will also help them during molts. Be careful when transferring, I got tagged by a 2nd instar and it did hurt like hell. Think of a hot icepick piercing your skin.

Congratulations and best of luck!

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
kitty_b,

I've succesfully raised 3 clutches of excilicauda. I sold most at 2nd and kept 5 with me. The slings are all 5th instar now. I would suggest that you place a piece of branch that can double as a climb and hide. They are climbers but the female will look for a retreat when threatened. You may feed the mom a small cricket, just make sure you clip the hind legs so that it will not jump around. As soon as the slings leave their mom, you may place them in separate containers with a bark climb (this is important!) for better survival rate. I fed my slings a combination of termites and pinheads. Mist the side of the container just to provide enough moisture droplets. I do this once a week for slings. This will also help them during molts. Be careful when transferring, I got tagged by a 2nd instar and it did hurt like hell. Think of a hot icepick piercing your skin.

Congratulations and best of luck!
thanks so much! yes, i was going to drop in a very small roach for each mom today. has female has one or two small pieces of slate rock that they have adopted as climbing perches. i misted the first female's deli cup last night, and planned to mist the second female's deli cup this morning.

in the back of my mind, i worry that the stress of catching the females for relocation may cause them to eat their babies... but so far, they're being lovely mothers. :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
in the back of my mind, i worry that the stress of catching the females for relocation may cause them to eat their babies... but so far, they're being lovely mothers. :D
You dont have to worry about that from Centruroides spp like you do some of the others. In fact, I move all my Moms to a deli cup after giving birth. I do that because it is very difficult to round up all the kids in the adult enclosure. After they disperse,separate them into individual vials. Provide a climb so you wont have any molt problems and even though they are a desert variety give them a little moisture (not much but a little).

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
neither brood has molted yet... i'm a bit surprised.. i thought it was supposed to occur within a couple days of birth? :? these guys have been hatched since at least friday and saturday

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congradulations Kitty, this is wonderfull! Been really neat hearing about them and seeing the pictures. Be nice to hear more as they grow. Thanks.

Sharon