Babies have arrived!

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
The babies that I ordered came in the mail today. 2x A. Genic, 2x LP, and 2x P. Cambredgie. They are all alive and well. I also bought some little mealworms at the store today. How would I get the T's to eat the mealworms? And should I only feed them 1 a day? Thanks.

Ashley2070

Arachnopeon
Cut them up into pieces manageable for them to eat. About the size of their carapace should do fine. I feed my little ones every other day until they stop taking food.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Also, are the vials that the babies came in adequatehousing for the time being? The spiderlings are tiny, and the vials are only about 2 or 3 times the spiders diameter

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Very normal, if you just rehoused them then they may not eat for a couple of days. Leave the food there and if it's not eaten in 24 hours then remove it and wait a few days to try again

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Slings are scavengers, I rarely wait around to see if they eat. Drop in food, and remove anything uneaten the next day. That's all.

Vials aren't great for terrestrial slings. It's fine for now, but you should get a condiment cup to keep them in.

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Thanks. The LPs and Genics arent showing much interest, but one of the P. Cambredgies has already got one.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Yeah those do look very big for such a small sling, but if they make a den/nest and you are able to figure out where they are at all times, it should be fine. Besides, LPs and Genics grow at supersonic speed most of the time lol

You should maybe invest in getting some pinhead crickets, or ordering pinhead B. lateralis roaches from Jamie's Tarantulas

Last edited:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
You can just drop them into the enclosures because if they're all slings (babies) the enclosures should be big enough for them to move around in but small enough to find the food.

I have two P Irminas I keep like this in the photos below, since the enclosure is so small even if the prey try to bury themselves the T will still easily find the food.

If you're worried it won't, just kill the food and drop it in.

Take it out the next day if it's still uneaten.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
The cambridgei isn't gonna be happy in the vial. There's nowhere for it to hide. I have mine in 32oz deli cups with corkbark leaned against the side. They have no problems finding food

cooperevans001

Arachnosquire
Also guys, will a space heater dry out the slings? How often should I mist their cups, and should I remove them before misting?

DeanK

Arachnosquire
I would. 32oz deli cup, cork bark leaned against the side and a bottle cap for water. No need to mist them, the bottle cap is enough. I got cambridgeis at the same size and they've done great in the deli cups

Estein

Arachnoknight
The slings won't drown--the book lung system and the hydrophobic exoskeleton will prevent that. :) Plastic water bottle lids make great water dishes for slings, and I know some people use Monopoly houses. I use small bug boxes from my workplace that no longer have functional lids.

Estein

Arachnoknight
Also guys, will a space heater dry out the slings? How often should I mist their cups, and should I remove them before misting?
Also I haven't had any issues with a space heater and my slings yet. I keep the heater on the floor so the airflow (it's a fan heater) doesn't bother them so much and I make sure the water dishes are always full.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have tiny A. marxi slings in 2oz condiment cups and they have tunnele the whole thing and have no problem finding food :) Your Ts should be fine!

P. cams are pretty voracious eaters. I would move yours into something a little bigger. When I feed pre-killed, I place the meal in their web up off the ground.