babie emps!!

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
finaly, after who knows how long of waiting.

one of my emps gave birth!! any way, i wanted some tips on care for young.
like at what age to a take them away from the mother?
when i do take them from the mother, how many babies can i keep together at once?
how do i feed them, strait pin heads or just use smashed pre killed crickets. i already know the mother will kill a cricket and feed them at this point.
allso, i have the mother and the babies in my emp collony tank, with 4 others. do i need to remove the mother.

thanks for any tips! i allso got another one pregnate right now too! so ill have more on the way soon!! ttyl

jb

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i need to take the mother out of the emp collonie???
plz tell me so ill make sure none of the scoplings arnt aten

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well after you read the thread that Brian pointed out you'll probably have your Q's answered... :D

But if not here are the answers...

Q: like at what age to a take them away from the mother?
A: At about two weeks after birth they will moult to I2 and leave the mother, this is an acceptable time to put the young into individual deli cups.

Q: when i do take them from the mother, how many babies can i keep together at once?
A: I would recommend only 1 scorpling per deli cup, it is easier to monitor their individual feedings. I had 6, I3 in a colony of their own, there were some big fat ones and some small thin ones, they didn't share very well. I separated them to make sure each ate

Q: how do i feed them, strait pin heads or just use smashed pre killed crickets?
A: I might be eccentric but I'll take a pin head crix and disable it (this sounds mean but) I remove both back legs and all small legs from one side only. It's still alive but travels in gimpy circles. Easier for the scorpion to 'hunt' it on its own. (it takes me about an hour to feed all my babies, 50+)

Q: i have the mother and the babies in my emp colony tank, with 4 others. do i need to remove the mother?
A: I would say you should remove the babies (If they have left the mom). If you just remove the mother and leave the other 4 scorpions they may cannibalize the young. If they are still on the mom, remove the other 4, when they leave the mom remove the babies and return the other 4 to the tank.

Hope this helps...

GL with the young and the preggy one. :D