B. Vagans won't eat, 6 months

Lucifer Morningstar

Arachnopeon
My B. Vagans, Lucifer, hasn't eaten in probably 6 months. His abdomen is a lot smaller and I'm getting worried about him. I know that tarantulas can go a long time without eating but he's only a 2-3 inch juvenile and he doesn't look very well. I thought it was because he was molting at first but he molted quite a while ago and still wont eat.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pictures would help. Do you have a fresh water out constantly for it? Changes in temps there? If the abdomen was fat I wouldn't worry.

Your idea of smaller is subjective, Pics.

Lucifer Morningstar

Arachnopeon
IMG_3782.JPG IMG_3885.JPG IMG_4407.JPG
The first one is a picture from November, a few months after I got him, the third is from January and the second one is from today. He always has a fresh supply of water and I refill it or replace it every day, usually morning and night. It was pretty cold this winter, and it is starting to warm up a lot now.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
View attachment 242300 View attachment 242301 View attachment 242299
The first one is a picture from November, a few months after I got him, the third is from January and the second one is from today. He always has a fresh supply of water and I refill it or replace it every day, usually morning and night. It was pretty cold this winter, and it is starting to warm up a lot now.
But - that tarantula is at least 4" in comparison to your hand, very likely more! It may even be adult - are you sure it's male or are you just using 'he' by default? And I can't see that it lost a lot of weight. Maybe it will start eating again when temps get warmer now. An adult tarantula may need up to a month after a molt to start eating again, sometimes even more.

Be careful when handling, though. A tarantula may bolt and fall by accident and then you'll end up with a dead tarantula.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Interesting...I've always heard that B. vagans had the most attitude of the Brachys, yet he's handleable. I guess it's just the temperament of that specimen (at least at the time of the photos.)

Have you tried more than one type of prey item, out of curiosity?

Lucifer Morningstar

Arachnopeon
But - that tarantula is at least 4" in comparison to your hand, very likely more! It may even be adult - are you sure it's male or are you just using 'he' by default? And I can't see that it lost a lot of weight. Maybe it will start eating again when temps get warmer now. An adult tarantula may need up to a month after a molt to start eating again, sometimes even more.

Be careful when handling, though. A tarantula may bolt and fall by accident and then you'll end up with a dead tarantula.
I'm pretty sure he is male. I'm not positive though, this is my first tarantula so I just looked up a video on how to sex them and tried to do it that way. He is very docile but I still try to be very careful and I don't hold him too often.

Lucifer Morningstar

Arachnopeon
Interesting...I've always heard that B. vagans had the most attitude of the Brachys, yet he's handleable. I guess it's just the temperament of that specimen (at least at the time of the photos.)

Have you tried more than one type of prey item, out of curiosity?
I've only tried crickets. What else is good to give them?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Superworms, roaches, etc. Most do take crickets, though.