B. vagans or not? That is the question

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This little dude was sold to me as a B. vagans. Is that what it is? Please help me. Thanks!!!!!! :?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was looking at that picture too, it was a toss up...........I still think earth tiger....

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Definately NOT a B. vagans, or any other New World tarantula! It appears to be a Haplopelma of some sort, but is definately Asian.

pitbulllady

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
wow someone sold u that as a brachy??!thats really screwed up
what u have there looks like halopelma longipes but its hard to tell from the pics.eithor way to sell someone a haplopelma as a brachypelma blows my mind.did u get it from a petshop?it would be horrible if they are selling these to beginners who dont know how to deal with asians such as these.set her up with lots of substrate to burrow and keep her on the moist side withtemps 75 deg and up

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
oh and b.vagans looks like this if u didnt already know

huge difference!!!!!!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's my adult female B. vagans, wild-collected in Florida, for comparison. As you can see, there's a really good reason why these are called "Mexican RED-rumped" tarantulas!

pitbulllady

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What a pretty vagans! Maybe I will get one tomorrow at the pet show. I really want a B. smithi though. Thanks for the help. I didn't think it was a vagans, but I needed reasurrance, plus I had no idea what it was.

-Soph:D

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i agree with every one its not what you wanted why not take it back and kick some butt get your money back thats what i would do -- phil

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If that is a B. vagans then i'm the king of England.

~Fred

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Holy Crap ! Not a starter T !!!

This is what swift says about the one member of the Haplopelma family... which looks strikingly similar to yours !

" Chinese Black Tiger (Haplopelma schmidti "black phase")

Also found in Vietnam, this fantastic species is a true beauty. Black legs with a charcoal gray carapace. White fringe on sides of chelicerae can be seen, and a beautiful "tiger" type pattern on abdomen typical of the genus Haplopelma. Much controversy about the potency of venom surrounded this species several years back, and it is still considered a species to be very cautious about getting bit by. They get huge! 8" as adults, "

I'd take it back RIGHT AWAY... but I'm a chicken :)

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you think that if i am doing pretty well taking care of my H. lividium (at least i think so), i would do alright taking care of this guy? Is it that much harder? I am fairly new to the hobby though. I know I need to rehouse him from what Syndicate said, I definitely need to give him more substrate to burrow in. I've already fallen in love with him and i don't really want to take him back. I think i may go tell the store that what they sold me wasn't really what they sold me. I will just have to go buy myself a "real" vagans next time.

-Soph :)

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you keep can care for H. lividum and you don't want a handleable T then you should do just fine with this species.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do you think that if i am doing pretty well taking care of my H. lividium (at least i think so), i would do alright taking care of this guy? Is it that much harder? I am fairly new to the hobby though. I know I need to rehouse him from what Syndicate said, I definitely need to give him more substrate to burrow in. I've already fallen in love with him and i don't really want to take him back. I think i may go tell the store that what they sold me wasn't really what they sold me. I will just have to go buy myself a "real" vagans next time.

-Soph :)
def let the petstore know there selling these mislabled.also u should yell at them to lol:mad:
and yes keep this the same as your lividum and u should have no problems

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks like a Haplopelma or Ornithoctonus more likely the former. Has a strong resemblance to H. longipes.

It ain't a H. schmidti or a H. hainanum though (in fact I've name my hainanum "Sexy Legs" because of those velvety black lookers, heh) because the legs on I and II are quite comparitively thicker and also there is a "moustache" present on the chelicerae.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO HANDLE THIS SPIDER!

Libertykeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's my adult female B. vagans, wild-collected in Florida, for comparison. As you can see, there's a really good reason why these are called "Mexican RED-rumped" tarantulas

pitbulllady
WOW! Thats an incredible photo of your B.Vagans. Thank you for sharing. Beautiful Vagans to you too talkenlate...:clap: