B vagans in pre molt

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well this morning I went into my tarantula walk in closet and noticed what look like to be (from the angle the tarantula was standing against the wall and the way i was looking at it) my Vagans in pre - molt. the top of the abdomen was closed to being completely covered in what looked to be a blue-ish / black bruise which is probably the new exoskeleton finally coming in. Below are some pictures everyone give your opinions.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep he/she is in premolt. Id say 5-8 days from now he will molt out. How long you had it?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep he/she is in premolt. Id say 5-8 days from now he will molt out. How long you had it?
I'd say about 3 - 4 weeks or so.....and it has NEVER eating since I got it and now i can finally see it eat..in probably a week and a half lol....

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That thing will definately molt in a couple of days, I say around 2 days. Maybe less.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The above pictures were taking on 04-28-2007, 09:02 AM ...today I took some new pictures so if you notice in the above pictures the area where the new exoskeleton is coming in was't completely filled up in those pictures.
then in the pictures below its 100% filled up. that was two days ago. So the area filled up quickly enjoy the new pictures:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok well my B vagans is no longer out in the open i think he/she went into the pre-made hide so I'm hoping by at least 12pm today she / he will come out with a new body and maybe some more colors...we'll see what happens

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok well my B vagans is no longer out in the open i think he/she went into the pre-made hide so I'm hoping by at least 12pm today she / he will come out with a new body and maybe some more colors...we'll see what happens
Well he / she hasnt molted yet however I looked closer at the entrance to the hide and it has a few strands (not too many) blocking the entrance. at the same time the T is sitting at the entrace as if its waitin for food to pass by but I know its not hungry...

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My vagans just moulted last week without warning me. She just didn't eat her cricket from last week, she just killed it and stuffed it in the corner. When I went to check her water dish early last week, she was standing next to a shed skin. It will happen, don't worry.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love how when I'm not watching my B vagans molt that's when he/ she does it...I just checked on her/ him today and its sitting there in front of the hide door way looking at me with its beautiful aqua blue colors and the molt sitting right behind it...Well like someone already told me before...a watch pot never boils..so this boiled and it now has a new look all without me lol......Pictures coming soon I'm so....:mad: that I didn't actually see the molting take place.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My vagans just moulted last week without warning me. She just didn't eat her cricket from last week, she just killed it and stuffed it in the corner. When I went to check her water dish early last week, she was standing next to a shed skin. It will happen, don't worry.
I love finding surprise molts because I don't need to go through the longggg premolt periods, especially with Grammostola spp.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
*snarl* Don't remind me!!!!! We are STILL on moult watch for my G. pulchra. I swear, it isn't going to moult, it is just going to explode someday. We have been waiting for a moult since December!! Oh, well. Congrats on your vagans moult. Don't they look great freshly moulted?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
*snarl* Don't remind me!!!!! We are STILL on moult watch for my G. pulchra. I swear, it isn't going to moult, it is just going to explode someday. We have been waiting for a moult since December!! Oh, well. Congrats on your vagans moult. Don't they look great freshly moulted?
Yea, they do,,,its like the tarantula knows you're getting tired of its old outfit and basically makes a new one lol....then you'll eventually get tired of it again and by then he'll be in pre molt again lol..I went back in my tarantula closet and the vagans was facing the wall inside the hide. and I got to see the beautiful black abdomen with the strawberry red hairs on the back of it. Looks REALLY nice

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, oops.

:eek: Since December!? That is one long premolt! I don't know if I'd be able to wait that long... I'd probably lock her in the attic because she refuses to molt, and not let her out till she puts on some new clothes.