B. vagans double mating question.

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
Hello spider lovers!
About 2 weeks ago I purchased an adult, mature B. vagans boy for my girl. I wasn´t sure if he´s ready to mate, but the guy who sold him to me said he should be. I put them together, and they were done in 10 minutes. She wasn´t aggressive at all, he went right under her and I could see him rubbing his palps on the bottom of her abdomen, I´d say a perfect mating.

Around 3 days after they mated, I noticed he´s made a sperm web, so now I´m 100% sure he´s ready to mate again. Does this mean he wasn´t loaded when I put them together? Would he still get it on with her even if his bulbs weren´t loaded? Do you think it would be alright to try to mate them again now, even if the first attempt was succesful?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Around 3 days after they mated, I noticed he´s made a sperm web, so now I´m 100% sure he´s ready to mate again. Does this mean he wasn´t loaded when I put them together? Would he still get it on with her even if his bulbs weren´t loaded? Do you think it would be alright to try to mate them again now, even if the first attempt was succesful?
Don't bother, I'd try to find another suitable female. Males never wander around without loaded palps - they can't afford to come across a (rare) female in the wild only to have nothing to give her. Many males make multiple sperm webs per week, even if they haven't mated.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Doesnt mean he wasnt loaded but I would pair again now that fresh sperm web has been made.