B. Vagans Breeding (seemed successful) Advice Appreciated

jondee84

Arachnopeon
Hello

Me and my girlfriend thought it was time to try for some babies.......... by this I mean baby T's. :biggrin:

We bought a MM B.Vagans last week to breed with my girlfriends MF B.Vagans, we introduced the spiders to each other last night and after a few minutes they got it on. The female was a little stand off (ish) to begin with but then tapped a few times and it all happened without any hitches.

My main question really is - How long before we re-introduce the 2 spiders? How many times should we introduce them for mating without pushing it too far? and finally, How long can we expect to wait before we start to see signs that she may be gravid?

This is a first time for us, and we have read into it quite a lot but i think varied responses from hands on experience can be more valuable and easier to follow.

Many Thanks

Jon

p.s - I may use this thread as a diary of events for any other newby to breeding

advan

oOOo
Staff member

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd post it under B. vagans.

I didn't keep records so my report would have been useless.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to add,than 75% of the reports in that section flat out lack useful information of any kind. Most are just dates things were paired and the time frame until a sack/first/2nd instars were produced.To me that is NOT a useful breeding report.Knowing how long it takes from 1st to 2nd instar does not help me nearly as much as the stuff most people leave out,like temps,humidity,heating/cooling cycles and any tricks that were used to makes the females drop.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
advan - I have no idea what the final count was. Sold a group of 200 and didn't even make a dent in the population.

I'll try to add a little bit about my personal experience with them. I've had females pair with males and not drop the sac for almost a year. I've had females pair with males and drop a sac 2-3 months later.

This last sac was interesting - I paired them last year during the winter - the thermometer read 62F in the room they were paired in, and everything went off without a hitch. Got a nice sac once the weather warmed up.

I don't recall doing any flooding or doing any kind of cool-down. B. vagans and B. albopilosum are two species that tend to drop without a cooling period, where smithi, auratum, boehmei, emilia, etc. typically do better if you give them a cooling period.

Hope this is helpful even though I don't have any actual 'data'.