B Vagans attitue - share of experience

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For those who have had a B Vagans as pet, I would like to ask about their disposition or attitude... Has someone experienced a bite? or even an attempted bite? Reason for asking is because I recently acquired a B Vagans last Friday and I was wondering if they're the grouchy type or the friendly and interactive ones...

Thanks!!!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have 2, one juvie, and one getting close to being mature. Both are skittish and can be fast, the smaller of the 2 is a hair kicker. I have never had any attempts to bite or threat poses. They are good eaters, grow quickly and very beautiful.
I know some people have calmer ones that are handleable, but I wouldn't handle either of mine, they are a nice addition to any collection.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My female is around 4 1/2 to 5 inches. I don't handle any of my T's. As far as disposition goes she would much rather run into her burrow than stand and fight. Never had a threat display or had her flick hairs.

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is a pic of mine doing what he does best lol. I have never been bitten but close to it a couple of times with this little guy. This threat posture is getting to be quite the norm whenever I go near his water dish.

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine is not skittish or aggressive but holds her ground. If I were to choose to handle any of my Ts she would not be my first choice. But she wouldn't be my last choice either. :) I do think she is extremely beautiful with her jet black and red clothes.

Jen

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a female that is about 4". They can move quickly but, she does not choose to most of the time. Never a bite attempt, though it has happened to other people, check the bite report section here on Arachnoboards. She sometimes makes an attempt to kick hairs but, it's more like pushing 2 or 3 off that fall to the ground. It's like she knows it will not do any good. Always excepts food, don't overfeed. There are some small smooth aquarium gravel piece's in her enclosure that she moves around sometimes. I do pick her up when doing cage maintenance, I just urge her onto my hand and then off again. I don't pick her up for anything else. I think you will find that there are some attitude variations in most species. Don't think that you will have any luck with obedience training though.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most of hobbiests around the world had different tarantulas (species + hybrids) under the name "Brachypelma vagans", so You will get very nice "selective figure" for Your answer, not just like pure "Lipton" ;)

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Grundo, the MM, was a BEAR and threw a pose just to throw it.. about anything and everything. He also flicked his little "butt" bald :eek: But he was a rescued T from a bad situation and his previous environment may have contributed to his behaviour with me. He's since passed.

Gracie is a little sling still... about an inch.. and she is pretty calm so far. She loves to eat and play peekaboo from her burrow, but never a pose and she doesn't seem to be skittish... just private... if that makes sense.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my 5" female is nasty as can be{D she rears up/rears her big butt up ready to flick hairs,i know alot of them could docile,but mine..........no way,she's a beautiful spider anyway,i don't handle any of my ts anyway,as soon as i open her enclosure feed/water she comes out ready to roll.{D

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I currently own three vagans. Though it's the only species that has bitten me ( my stupidity BTW ) They are one of my fav. : always feed, always out, always very striking to look at. I don't handle my T's, and if I did I probably wouldn't handle my vagans ( see bite comment ) My three seems to be VERY food responsive i.e. everything is food... including me !

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a MM vagans but he's quite nice. Never seen a threat pose from him. He'd rather hide and run away then try to bite me. :D He is pretty skittish.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a large mature female B. vagans that is from the introduced wild colony in Florida. She's pretty nervous and skittish, and readily kicks hairs. I've never seen a real threat pose, but I've never "pushed" her to see what her limits are, either. She's very prone to suddenly taking off running, and so I really don't handle her for fear of her falling, moreso than of a bite, and because I'd rather her not go around with a bald butt, lol. She has a ferocious feeding response, and will often eat four crickets at a time.

pitbulllady

Damien

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My female Vagans is very grumpy indeed and doesn't like anything to come anywhere near her unless she intends to eat it, and even then she seems to be grouchy for being disturbed. When you move anywhere near her, she runs away to her corner. She never burrows though, so is always out for display.

An immature male I recently bought is the exact opposite. When he arrived was no trouble to handle at all, and immediately made a massive burrow. Had to turn his tank around to see him, as he likes to spend his time down there.

Poolnymph

Arachnopeon
My B. vagans is very skittish, but I have handled it - however he/she seems to stay in one spot on my hand and doesn't want to move...not even when I want to put it back in the enclosure....not my favourite of my T's to handle, but I would handle if necessary.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you all for your inputs... I am really gonna make a very careful observation of the personality of my Vagans...

Wish me luck, guys!!!

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know i commented earlier but thought i would add this: I have had my girl since she was about 1/2 " and she is now about 2", and i have handled her since she was little (always on the floor with my hand on the ground) the most she has done is raise her butt. Heck i just got done free handling her just now and no problem, just make your moves slowly and deliberate. you could even use tongs to coax her the way you want her to go. well good luck, either way you go, it is still a beautiful Tarantula:D

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know i commented earlier but thought i would add this: I have had my girl since she was about 1/2 " and she is now about 2", and i have handled her since she was little (always on the floor with my hand on the ground) the most she has done is raise her butt. Heck i just got done free handling her just now and no problem, just make your moves slowly and deliberate. you could even use tongs to coax her the way you want her to go. well good luck, either way you go, it is still a beautiful Tarantula:D
Thanks. I am testing the waters see how he/she reacts with the brush bristles... REally a good looking specie...