B.vagans and mealworms

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
REcently my b.vagans sling molted (less than 1 inch but showing color) and i've tried to feed it mealworms but it didn't eat any....

Is this normal?
does anyone here tried to feed mealworm to vagans with success?

Any help is appreciated.

P.S.: It's very hard to find crickets here and mealworms is the only alternative apart from flies of course.

Jack III

Arachnocultured
Old Timer
Vardoulas,

I have a B. vagans that is now about 1.75". I have had it for a year and in that time I attempted on 2-3 occasions to vary the diet by offering mealworms. It was not until the sling grew to it's current size that it began taking mealworms without hesitation. It had taken other insects in the past year but for some reason refused the mealworms. This is a sling that has always had a furocious appetite and ate a lot! It now has a taste for the worms and seems to always have room for another. Why this is I can't tell you, however I would consider nothing abnormal about your vagans if it eats other insects without hesitation but has refused mealworms up to this point in it's young life. You might try cutting one in half, maybe it is slightly intimidated by the size. Best wishes! :)

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by vardoulas
REcently my b.vagans sling molted (less than 1 inch but showing color) and i've tried to feed it mealworms but it didn't eat any....

Is this normal?
does anyone here tried to feed mealworm to vagans with success?

Any help is appreciated.

P.S.: It's very hard to find crickets here and mealworms is the only alternative apart from flies of course.
Some will eat mealworms at this size, and some will not.
IME this species will eventually work up the bravado to take a fullsize mealworm when the spiderling is between 1/2 to 2 inches.
I have also noticed some of them to be picky eaters, refusing one type of prey while accepting another.

Paul

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The funny thing is that yesterday i put one beetle in the sling's cage and it took it!!!

I'm talking about the "mealworm beetles" which are known to be very hard for slings....

I'll try again to feed it mealworms but this time i'll chop them a little bit:D

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My adult B. vagan's will "bolt" a few inches over to where the mealworm has burrowed, and will quickly dig it up and munch,munch! Cool to watch, My other Brachy's are oblivious once the mealworm has burrowed beneath the substrate.

Take Care, Dean

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pleased to advice that the sling finally took a mealworm as well...

Actualy it slaughtered the pure worm...

and now its on the loose for the next one who's burried in order to avoid my sling's death fangs.....