B. vagans 1st instar how long till 2nd?

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have three 1st instar slings of B. vagans from a friend, how long will they stay like that till 2nd instar? its been almost 2 weeks since they molted out of eggs with legs stage.

they are moving around fine, i keep them warm and humid

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
EDED said:
i have three 1st instar slings of B. vagans from a friend, how long will they stay like that till 2nd instar? its been almost 2 weeks since they molted out of eggs with legs stage.

they are moving around fine, i keep them warm and humid
it is fairly variable, depending on temp... and i suspect level of nutrition in the mother when she was forming the embryos and yolks originally.

if you keep them on the warmer side it will reduce the time between instars

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
connor3k said:
Whats an instar?
Each successive molt is called an instar. So, a tarantulas first molt is the first instar, the second molt the tarantula is a 2nd instar, etc.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Each successive molt is called an instar. So, a tarantulas first molt is the first instar, the second molt the tarantula is a 2nd instar, etc.
Just to avoid confusion, an instar isn't a "successive molt", but rather the life stage the spider is in between molts. I'm figuring this is what you meant.

Also, if the B. vagans in question were "eggs with legs" prior to the last molt, wouldn't they be nymphs (postembryos) now? My understanding is that it's the first, darker (usually), actively mobile phase that's referred to as 1st instar.

Steve

Orange_Demon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so the warmer you keep T's the shorter there instar will be?

better go put the oven on

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
defour said:
Just to avoid confusion, an instar isn't a "successive molt", but rather the life stage the spider is in between molts. I'm figuring this is what you meant.

Also, if the B. vagans in question were "eggs with legs" prior to the last molt, wouldn't they be nymphs (postembryos) now? My understanding is that it's the first, darker (usually), actively mobile phase that's referred to as 1st instar.

Steve
Yes, you did a better job of explaining this. I typed my post up in a hurry.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Orange_Demon said:
so the warmer you keep T's the shorter there instar will be?

better go put the oven on
Yes, and ultimately shorten the life span of the tarantula. The life span of nvertabrates like insects, trie spiders and tarantulas is determined by a certain number of molts. This number varies between the various animals of different species, but for the most part it is fixed. So, when you shorten the time between molts, you also shorten the total life span. Here is a discussion, including links to studies on the matter, on growth rates. These studies were more focused on the effects of calorie restricted diets, but they are still relevant. Since there is a definite link between power feeding and increased frequency of molts.

Orange_Demon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Yes, and ultimately shorten the life span of the tarantula. The life span of nvertabrates like insects, trie spiders and tarantulas is determined by a certain number of molts. This number varies between the various animals of different species, but for the most part it is fixed. So, when you shorten the time between molts, you also shorten the total life span. Here is a discussion, including links to studies on the matter, on growth rates. These studies were more focused on the effects of calorie restricted diets, but they are still relevant. Since there is a definite link between power feeding and increased frequency of molts.

oooo interesting. mines been molting once a months. its about 2-3 months old and its molted 2ce