B.vagan?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
G.angustum?? Never heard that before. If I'm not mistaken, it is Brachypelma angustum, not Grammostola angustum. Google search for G.angustum comes up with a fern-type of plant. :D

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
G.angustum?? Never heard that before. If I'm not mistaken, it is Brachypelma angustum, not Grammostola angustum. Google search for G.angustum comes up with a fern-type of plant. :D
Neither have I that's why I was like uhmmm...

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Brachypelma angustum is no longer valid. That species was transferred to the genus Sericopelma by Gabriel and Longhorn (2015). Unfortunately, none of the pictures posted can confirm what genus this spider belongs to.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Thank you so much! Would it be too mommy of me to post her adoable little self...I mean...she will be a tarantula girl so it's on topic...kind of
Aww what a cute lil girl <3<3 soo adorable. Congratulations <3<3<3<3<3 :kiss::)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
ahahah sorry. My mistake. I'm highly dyslexic. I remember speaking about Grammostola with someone at the same time. I just got mixed up ahah. It was Brachy

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Brachypelma angustum is no longer valid. That species was transferred to the genus Sericopelma by Gabriel and Longhorn (2015). Unfortunately, none of the pictures posted can confirm what genus this spider belongs to.
Alright good to know...they just love switching up these names and confusing me haha. What would one need to do to get a confirmation on genus and species? Or as close to a confirmation one can get with pictures?

Last edited by a moderator:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Alright good to know...they just love switching up these names and confusing me haha. What would one need to do to get a confirmation on genus and species? Or as close to a confirmation one can get with pictures?
Well, tarantula taxonomy and identification has its trouble because they have very few reliable characters to readily separate them into distinct groups. Even the experts miss something or don't do a good job analyzing new material then future researchers discover something new which changes the classification. The issue with trying to make an ID based on pictures is that what you need to look for to determine genus then to species is hidden on the spider's body. Some characters that you would need to look at are the presence or absence of stridulatory bristles on the insides and/ or outsides of the palps, leg 1, and leg 2; presence of a patch of feathery hairs (plumose bristles) on the outside of the femur of leg 4, shape of the reproductive organs, and the list goes on. Reliable identification will require an examination of an intact molt from the tarantula in question (or the body after it dies). Spider identification, especially tarantula identification, is a long complicated process. Tarantulas sold as pets are especially challenging as they don't come with the location it was caught so there isn't a starting point to begin narrowing down the possibilities. If you have an intact molt, I would be happy to take a look at it and make an attempt to key it to at least genus. If your tarantula hasn't molted yet in your care then you may want to put a sticky note on its cage as a reminder to not throw the molt away.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
image.jpeg It looks very similar to my B./S. angustum. They are a cool species. Enjoy!

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looks very similar to my B./S. angustum. They are a cool species. Enjoy!
That is because your spider is a hobby vagans, just like the spider of the original post. Brachypelma angustum (Now Sericopelma angustum) has never been in the hobby. Just another name for sellers to demand a higher price. For the moment forget about Brachypelma epicureanum, B. sabulosum and B. vagans. for over 30 years we (the hobby) have been mixing these species into the muds we have now.
Only now people have opened their eyes and see the value of pure species. Lets hope the recent imports of WC B. albopilosum will result in pure lines we can enjoy for years to come. We need the same for B. vagans...... but this is more complex then it sounds. What we thought was 1 species in Mexico prove to be a handfull of species. Thank gowd research is being done as we speak. Only 3 weeks ago i was in Mexico collecting redrump Brachypelma species to map distribution and add to the DNA puzzle. At the moment, this is B. vagans for me, collected in Teapa, Mexico. Enjoy. 381599_2636888994897_531218021_n.jpg

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is because your spider is a hobby vagans, just like the spider of the original post. Brachypelma angustum (Now Sericopelma angustum) has never been in the hobby. Just another name for sellers to demand a higher price. For the moment forget about Brachypelma epicureanum, B. sabulosum and B. vagans. for over 30 years we (the hobby) have been mixing these species into the muds we have now.
Only now people have opened their eyes and see the value of pure species. Lets hope the recent imports of WC B. albopilosum will result in pure lines we can enjoy for years to come. We need the same for B. vagans...... but this is more complex then it sounds. What we thought was 1 species in Mexico prove to be a handfull of species. Thank gowd research is being done as we speak. Only 3 weeks ago i was in Mexico collecting redrump Brachypelma species to map distribution and add to the DNA puzzle. At the moment, this is B. vagans for me, collected in Teapa, Mexico. Enjoy. View attachment 223101
Well it may not be an angustum, but I'm pretty sure it's not a vagans. Much too small! Perhaps an unclassified dwarfish Brachy from Costa Rica (UDBCR for short).

cold blood

Staff member
Well it may not be an angustum, but I'm pretty sure it's not a vagans. Much too small! Perhaps an unclassified dwarfish Brachy from Costa Rica (UDBCR for short).
Too small?

Unless you know the age, that's like seeing a baby hippo and saying its too small to be a hippo.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Too small?

Unless you know the age, that's like seeing a baby hippo and saying its too small to be a hippo.
14 years old. Got it as a sling from Kelly Swift in 2003. I'm fairly certain it's not about to undergo a growth spurt;)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Are there any papers that discuss Tarantula hybridization in the wild or is it just a thing in the captive hobby?