B vagan question

Icculus

Arachnosquire
So I brought home a 1/4" b vagan Feb 18th. this is by far our smallest sling in our new collection. I fed it a good sized prekilled that night after rehousing, which it ate. it hasnt eaten since? all seems well with it im just alittle surprised that it hasn't eaten or molted in almost a month 14895813117601130321205.jpg . Is this normal? Thanks in advance for the help. sorry the pic sucks. there is a Lego waterdish in there as well.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Have you tried to offer it live prey? A pinhead cricket for example? I have never seen a T who´s not in premoult or full refusing to take down a cricket of appropriate size. If you do, just make sure not leave it in there for too long if it refuse to take it and is in premoult.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Is the abdomen shrunken and have you been keeping the water dish full and putting small drops of water on the substrate or the side of the enclosure? If so, it could be in premolt or it could be stressed.

What is your ambient temp?

cold blood

Staff member
A sling this small doesn't take much to fill it up. You fed it a fairly large meal you say, which for this t was probably like you eating an entire small deer.

I always tell people one thing about small slings is that they fill up very quickly, so they tend to eat very infrequently (especially considering that most meals we offer are indeed giant for such a small sling). Don't worry about it, just keep it warm and slightly damp and wait it out. You can offer pre-kill as others have suggested, it definitely won't hurt, but don't be concerned if it ignores everything until after the next molt.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
A sling this small doesn't take much to fill it up. You fed it a fairly large meal you say, which for this t was probably like you eating an entire small deer.
Eh, that´s not a good comparison, my friend! I mean, if I were to eat an entire (small) deer, I would need to do so like the Vikings during a feast or the Romans during their periods of overindulgence. Eat and drink, throw up, eat and drink some more and then repeat the circle again until being close to unconscious. It would certainly ruin both my appetite and my digestive system for a day or two, but after that I would need to eat again!

I always tell people one thing about small slings is that they fill up very quickly, so they tend to eat very infrequently (especially considering that most meals we offer are indeed giant for such a small sling). Don't worry about it, just keep it warm and slightly damp and wait it out. You can offer pre-kill as others have suggested, it definitely won't hurt, but don't be concerned if it ignores everything until after the next molt.
Agreed :)

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys. he did eat a big meal his first night. so I'm guessing he's just full. my question was based on lack of knowledge on feeding habits for a sling that small not really concern. I keep the water dish full and the temps are low 70's untill spring and summer. his abdomen was and still is plump after his meal. I have been offering prekilled food on a regular basis. I figured it was in premolt because it wasn't eating and then surprised that a sling that size hasn't molted or eaten in a month. I try to offer only prekilled to a sling that I think is premolt and only offer live prey after prekilled has been taken post molt. so only live inbetween if that makes sense

Icculus

Arachnosquire
The little guy molted last night and is looking good. thanks again for the help