B.smithii sling not coming out for feeding in a month

bridget1476

Arachnopeon
New owner. I got my sling in mid-January and am still not completely sure if it has eaten at all. I have tried feeding live fruit flies, dead fruit flies, dead chopped up superworms, dead dubia roach.I'm not sure if the spider is eating them or if they are just decomposing. The spider dug itself a burrow and covered the entrance with dirt. It is still alive. I have wondered if this is pre-molt, the two (not legs) near its face look shiny but I dont really think the abdomen looks shiny.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
It’s wonderful that you are open to trying all these options to feed and care for your spider.

I've seen so many descriptions from novice keepers stating their observations, it’s just difficult to offer advice, with out images.

Images of the enclosure and nice “Focussed” images of the tarantula would be greatly appreciated.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
New owner. I got my sling in mid-January and am still not completely sure if it has eaten at all. I have tried feeding live fruit flies, dead fruit flies, dead chopped up superworms, dead dubia roach.I'm not sure if the spider is eating them or if they are just decomposing. The spider dug itself a burrow and covered the entrance with dirt. It is still alive. I have wondered if this is pre-molt, the two (not legs) near its face look shiny but I dont really think the abdomen looks shiny.
Brachypelma slings will sometimes cover the entrance to their burrow for quite a while. My B. albiceps was closed in for several months when she was a sling. I would occasionally leave prekilled prey right outside the burrow in case it’s hungry. Brachypelma slings can test your patience. But once they get to juvenile stage they start eating much better.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Brachypelma slings will sometimes cover the entrance to their burrow for quite a while. My B. albiceps was closed in for several months when she was a sling. I would occasionally leave prekilled prey right outside the burrow in case it’s hungry. Brachypelma slings can test your patience. But once they get to juvenile stage they start eating much better.
So true! ;)
I have a B. emilia sling (~ 3/4") that hasn't eaten in 5 months. It buried itself away for the past 2 months. I know it's alive and well because sometimes it opens its burrow for a day or two, so, I leave a dead roach in front of its burrow. I never know if it has taken a bite or if it just wanted a breath of fresh air. They really do test your patience. ;)

Maybe it helps reading this: https://tomsbigspiders.com/2015/08/10/tarantula-buried-itself/
Other than that, keep the substrate slightly moist and the water dish full... and wait. :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Brachys can go months without food even as slings, if the abdomen is plump then there's nothing to worry about, just dampen the sub as necessary,. I've had a 2cm auratum sling refuse food for over 2 months before moulting and had a 4cm albiceps refuse food for over 5 months just for the lulz.