B. smithii just flipped on back.... quick question

Delailah

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all,

My B. smithii just shocked the living you-know-whattie out of me. As I was changing her water, she snuggled into the corner of her tank, waved several legs up in the air like she was intoxicated, and over she went.

What's got me concerned however is she just ate last Friday, no molting mat, very little to no color changes or hair loss of the dorsal abdomen... no tell-tale signs that a molt is coming at all. Her past molts in my care have been accompanied by these very distinctive signs. :?

She's been motionless for 2 hours now - no wiggling and carapace isn't loose. And of course, I'm a nervous wreck. I know there's not much I can do, but still...

Am I being too paranoid?

She's approximately 3 years (a guess) and around 5 inches (yet another guess). Last molt was February.

Thanks all!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If she is molting at 5" 2 hours is nothing. You might not see her complete this molt till the late night or early morning.
Got a camera? Snap a picture we'd love to see her!
Oh and if she is 5" she is older then three years, more like 5-6+

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all,

My B. smithii just shocked the living you-know-whattie out of me. As I was changing her water, she snuggled into the corner of her tank, waved several legs up in the air like she was intoxicated, and over she went.

What's got me concerned however is she just ate last Friday, no molting mat, very little to no color changes or hair loss of the dorsal abdomen... no tell-tale signs that a molt is coming at all. Her past molts in my care have been accompanied by these very distinctive signs. :?

She's been motionless for 2 hours now - no wiggling and carapace isn't loose. And of course, I'm a nervous wreck. I know there's not much I can do, but still...

Am I being too paranoid?

She's approximately 3 years (a guess) and around 5 inches (yet another guess). Last molt was February.

Thanks all!
As long as she looks nice and healthy I wouldn't worry. i used to lose sleep when a T molted so you're not being paranoid. Keep us posted as to how its doing :D.

Delailah

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh and if she is 5" she is older then three years, more like 5-6+
:wall: I bet you're right... she was given to me as a gift back in November 2005, and at the time I was such a newbie (and still very much am) that I didn't know how important it would be to measure her, ask her age, molt history, etc.

Back in November 2005, her abdomen was around the size of a bottle cap. Perhaps she was already two or three?

How long is motionless too "motionless"... it will be 2.5 hours since she flipped, no movement whatsoever.

Thanks!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have had a few show no movement what so ever (at least that I saw) for 5 hours. But I bet they twitched a few times without me seeing. What will give you a heart attack is sometimes they spaz out of nowhere. A big spaz, then go back to not moving, that normally happens when its closer to carapace popping time.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Wouldn't worry unless it's like that in the morning.

Delailah

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Update... she was still motionless until 2am this morning when I said enough and went to bed.

When I woke up this morning around 6am she was beautifully molted, almost neon colored, and HUGE!

Seven hours of nothing but laying there motionless and flat on her back. Had me scared for a while. :eek:

Thanks everyone for the advice!!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update... she was still motionless until 2am this morning when I said enough and went to bed.

When I woke up this morning around 6am she was beautifully molted, almost neon colored, and HUGE!

Seven hours of nothing but laying there motionless and flat on her back. Had me scared for a while. :eek:

Glad to hear everything worked out alright :).

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon

OK I'm starting to think B. smithi's are just down right shy when it comes to molting in front of peopl. My b. smithi that's now 2 inches just molted this past saturday and the same thing still nothing around 3 in the morning and when i woke up there he was in his brand new suit. I think they are plotting against us! LOL Congrats on the molt! It's sooooo awesome can't wait to see yours! :clap: :D