B.Smithi

Kendar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Has anyone ever been bitten by one? I am petrified of being bit by mine, even though I can't see it hurting that bad....

just curious :p

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
something akin to stapling yourself would be pretty close to a smithi bite .Not that i would recommend either.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You don't think it would hurt that bad?!?!! Have you seen the size of their fangs??? lol

When you get an adult moult from it, pull the fangs off of the exuvium and poke yourself with it..they're sharp ;)

Kendar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol ok lemme rephrase it....I mean as bad as say a P.Metallica or something lol

I know that it is quite unlikely that a B.Smithi will bite, but I am just waiting for it :p

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
any spider has the potential to bite... so it could do!

Obviously brachy's aren't aspotent as Haplopelma or Poecilotheria species. I think it would still rather hurt though! lol

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's a difference between mechanical pain i.e. having fangs penetrate flesh, and the effect of the venom which may be injected during such penetration. The venom of a B. smithi typically will just cause a local irritation (allergic reactions aside). Some of the other species mentioned above can cause muscle spasm, nausea, joint aching etc.

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey, i have a red knee, but i aint been bit by her, but saying that i know someone who was bite lol (not by mine) but he siad is was no worse than a bee sting. it stung for like 30 mins he siad. and that was it like.
pete

Kendar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ahh alright.....I am also scared of reacting horribly and flinging her across the room lol
I would feel terrible

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Now I am curious, has anyone ever been tagged by a Smithi? I have with hairs but other then that I have never seen a Smithi even throw a threat display.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm sure the only thing that would "really" hurt would be the initial bite, maybe like stapling yourself, or stabbing yourself with a small nail. I don't think the venom of this species would have too much affect like other more potent species. Of course it also depends on the individual.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a mature female smithi. She's pretty stubborn when it comes to being moved or messed with in any way. If i need to rehouse her i have to push her into a cup w/ a paintbrush as she can't be encouraged to move at all. When i do that she digs in with 6 legs and flick hairs like mad with th other two. I'm talking clouds here. I guess that's pretty intense defensive behaviour. She won't run more than a couple of steps and has never really threatened to bite. As far as i'm concerned she is not a handleable spider. The last time i moved her i got itchies all the way up both arms right through a long sleeve t-shirt.

So in summary: If your girl is anything like mine you probably won't get bitten but you still may not enjoy the experience. Having said that though, i see many pictures on here of people freely handling their smithi's. Just observe the behavior carefully and see if she seems aggro or not. Also remember that if she flattens her body to the groung and sticks her but in the air that IS a threat display. She's getting ready to flick at you. Hopefully you have a more docile specimen than i do.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My B. Smithi is a crazy little girl.....She will flick hairs at the slightest provocation and attack if ANYTHING gets too close. I dont give her a chance to dig her fangs into me......seems like it would suck.

It's funny that you hear that B. Smithi's are really docile and easy to handle....but the 2 in my house are among the ones I would NEVER hold.

Kendar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have handled her once, she does flick hairs like crazy, but that is why I got dish washing gloves lol. I had a glove on one hand and put her in my bare hand and it turned out great. I think she did threaten to bite me a couple times, one was when I had a really loud friend over who would not shut up, even after I asked her to be quiet. The other time was when she was in pre-molt and I tried to get her to move so I could put a hiding spot in there, but that was completley inderstandable

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol it would take alot to make it bite you, you would have to be really dumb, and poking it to death. its mover likely just to kick hairs at you, or just stand up.

Kendar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the first time I held her at the bug zoo she stood up, the owner kept trying to playfully put her legs down....all I was thinking was "please don't do that" lol. but it worked out fine :p

I meant I handled her twice, once on my own ;)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i dont recall ever hearing of anyone getting bit by B. smithi, but some of the guys from mexico at work tell i am gringo loco for wanting one because they kill people all the time in mexico and will kill horses and ...
And im like ummm yeah right .

Lance Varden

Arachnopeon
I have had seven, and have never been bitten. A bite is pretty rare from a smithi, I handle mine alot

Kendar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had seven, and have never been bitten. A bite is pretty rare from a smithi, I handle mine alot
good to know :) thanks

i dont recall ever hearing of anyone getting bit by B. smithi, but some of the guys from mexico at work tell i am gringo loco for wanting one because they kill people all the time in mexico and will kill horses and ...
And im like ummm yeah right .
hahah yeah, definately bull! Not even a pokie could kill you unless you had some reaction and they are like the most venomous T.