B.smithi ???

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok I have had my adult female B.smithi for about two years and its about the best show tarantula I have. But know its doing something wired. Its climbing the walls of it cage 24 7 and its now climbing to the top of its cage and falling I am getting worried about it. Do you guys know anything that I could do to stop it

Thanks Arachnokid 93

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just makes sure that from the substrate to the lid of the cage is no greater a distance than the T's legspan, that should help prevent injuries from the falling. Other than that I don't know what to tell you.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Smithi can be weird like that sometimes. Sometimes they sit for weeks and then out of no where start moving substrate and doing laps.
As long as she is healthy looking, offered food on a regular basis, and has water she should be just fine. It should be a phase......

Your keeping the substrate dry right?
Also maybe check the substrate for mites. Sometimes when mites are present Ts are restless and walk a lot out of annoyance.
Oh and you sure its not a male?
Those are the only things that I can think of. Hope that helped some.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
My B.smithi will do that randomly and then settle down, the important thing like spider_fan said is make sure the t doesn't have far to fall. If it doesn't settle down in a week or so. Then maybe you should start consider changing the substrate, for fresh substrate.

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well its not male, theres no mites but it does have about 6 inches to fall. Its been going on since its last molt 2/27/07 so I dont think noe more week will do it. I gess Iwill move it into something not as tall

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Well its not male, theres no mites but it does have about 6 inches to fall. Its been going on since its last molt 2/27/07 so I dont think noe more week will do it. I gess Iwill move it into something not as tall
Mine after ever molt goes through a complete personality change. I personally would give another week but if you are very concerned clean out the tank, and put new substrate in.