B smithi

Jonathan Wilhelm

Arachnopeon
I got a B smithi spiderling from a local pet shop last Saturday. It is about .75". I moved it to its new set up, a small acrylic cube from Michaels. I drilled plenty of small holes in it, a 50/50 peat and vermiculite, bottle cap for water, and a mini pot for shelter.
Well all was good for the first 2 days, I even feed it 2 pinheads witch it devoured. on the second day it dug a little hole beside the pot. The next day the spiderling was gone and the hole was covered. I am assuming it is molting, but it has been 5 days now and still no sign of it. Should I be worried?

Last edited:

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not at all, its very common for s'lings to dissapear for even weeks before showing up again, just make sure it has water and it'll be fine and dandy.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its probably alive and well. Just doing what comes natural. If crickets keep disapearing you KNOW its fine.

BTW, a spiderling that size really doesnt need the bottle cap and that is a good place for small crickets to go drowning, they dont go swimming but go drowning instead lol. I normally dont do that until they get nearly 3".

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What type of container are you keeping this spider in?The containers I use for a 1/2 incher arent big enough to fit a water cap inside.

Jonathan Wilhelm

Arachnopeon
Well my little B. smithi is still not out yet after 17 days. When I lift the container, on the bottom I can see its abdomen in a little clearing in the dirt it cleared out. Still has not molted yet. The dirt covering the hole is still there and it has not moved. I put a pinhead in last week and it just died days later, so I know it’s not eating. But I saw it move so I know it is still alive.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just leave it be. i've had brachypelma slings disappear for weeks. some even took to living under the substrate, even when there was no molt coming. it will come out more when it is older.

if it is not eating it is likely going to molt soon, but even b. slings can be in premolt forever.

Dustin

Arachnopeon
iv seen crickets live for over a day in water till i got around to helping it get out

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know the waiting can be maddening, but just leave it be. When it is ready, it will come out, probably after molting.