B.Smithi

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I purchased mine from a private dealer here in Chicago named Art Cerda. He lives about 10 minutes away from me, and is a hell of a good guy, from what I've seen of him. Like I said, it was a 3 inch juvenile, and he had several to choose from, and in the end, It cost me 40 US (what's that, about 22 british pounds or so?) to get it. This was my first T, so I decided to get one that was beyond the point of a spiderling, to try to put raising into my favor somewhat.

The Price seemed quite right given the care I saw him take of the smithi's, and the condition they (not to mention all his other inverts) were in. He also showed me the mother of the smithi, and showed me the next male he had in line to breed with her. I've read posts from people who've mail ordered from him, that live a bit further away than I do, and even one guy who was local, and had had dealings with him. Nothing but positives, all around. Maybe I'm just fortunate to have a good dealer so close, that I can hop in my car and get basically my pick of the inverts from.

Still, I'm wondering what the going price for a B. smithi is in the US? What would your average hobbyist pay for a 3 inch unsexed juve?

Bill

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
THey are cheap over here in Western Canada as well i can get juvies for 40 dollars.

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
England is a pretty small country, so its far easier to arrange a breeding here. and cheaper here too.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have seen B. smithi slings for as low as $15 each. I mean 1/2" or less leg span.

2"-3" immature average at about $50, give or take 10.

Adult females are rarely available, but when they are it's steep, $100 is the least you'd expect to pay, and that would be a great price. $150 to $200 wouldn't surprise me.

Since these spiders grow slow, and are not legally imported, adult females are either very old long term captives, OR captive bred spiders someone spent many years raising to maturity. Few hobbyists are going to want to part with a tarantula that took them 6 years to raise to maturity!

If they are cheaper in Europe, (and it doesn't sound like they really are) it's because tarantula keeping as a hobby began earlier there and many species are more established.

Pet store prices are something else again. Multiply the above prices times 2 to see the average pet store price. Retail biz.

Wade

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah

I saw a 2.5 inch juvie at my local store for 95 dollars, crazy i tell you

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I dunno... a huge determining factor for any animal price is whether or not they can be imported leally, or if hey have to be strictly captive raised... AFAIK, Smithi's are illegal to take from Mexico, so THAT would have a lot to do with the price...

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I bought a B. smithi yesterday in Scottdale Az. for 40.00. 3 1/2" and a real hair flicker. When we opened its cage, and I went to pick it up it kicked up a cloud of hair that sent me 3 steps backward. It was actually a cloud of hair. I think its a female. my fingers are crossed.

Ern

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congratulations

congrats on the new aquirement Ernie, wish they had pricings like that around here