B. smithi vs. B. boehmei

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What are the differences between the B.smithi and the B.boehmei besides color pattern? I have the B. smithi and thinking about adding one more:
the B. boehmei or the A. versicolor. But, I know now that the versi might be a lil too much work , so how much different is the fireleg from the redknee...in temperament hostility and cleanliness? How about U hairs? Is it worse with the boehmei, or not so bad as the smithi?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Of course it depends on the individual, but I find the boehmei much more nervous. They seem to kick hairs at the absolute least provocation (although smithi can be just as bad). But as far as care, there isn't really a difference.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are kept the same actually........ being as they are both Brachypelma they do have just about the same needs. boehmei will more readly flick hairs but they are just so amazing when they molt. I like them both. But there will always be a soft spot in my heart for smithi's.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Other than color I can tell no difference at all. The young are bad to kick hairs like a B smithi young but they grow out of that stage.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The young are bad to kick hairs like a B smithi young but they grow out of that stage.
This holds true to most new world species. I have not had a hair kicking problem with my smithi and she is now around 4 inches so, I'm pretty sure I wont if I don't provoke it. My little boehmei sling is only 3/8 of an inch and it already raises it's rump at me so any time now I expect some hair kicking to start.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
From my experience, the B.boehmei generally were bit more skittish and more prone to kick hair than the B.smithi. Though since i dont handle my ts, it doesn't make much difference.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, I wont be handling mine either, not for fear of being bit, lol, but fear of it falling or my kids startling it or me and then it falls! So many ways an accident can happen, u know? So, I guess u hairs arent that big of a deal

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, i've given my gorgeous boehmei female away because i couldn't handle the hairs. many of them kick at you changing the water and leave their urticating hairs all over the tank. i got an allergic reaction every time i opened the tank :(.

so i prefer the less skittish brachys (depends on individual of course) - emiliaas, klaasis, albiceps.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes, I wont be handling mine either, not for fear of being bit, lol, but fear of it falling or my kids startling it or me and then it falls! So many ways an accident can happen, u know? So, I guess u hairs arent that big of a deal
I've had face fulls of hair kicked from my Lasiodora klugi and my Brachypelma smithi juveniles lol You itch a while but its not a big deal really... Sellotape does the trick pretty well :clap:

Brachypelma smithi have the yellow and red markings whereas bohemi have just red femurs. They're both gorgeous spiders! Care will be the same.. and i've not found bohemi to be any more skittish than a smithi.. infact, i've had more skittish smithi's lol depends on individual spiders really :)
And Avic's aren't that much work really, just require a different environment to brachy's :)

I

Inverted

Everyone seemed to answer well enough about the B. boehmei but I wanted to elaborate more on the A. versicolor. You said they might be too much work. They are not that much more difficult to take care of they just have a couple of different needs. Instead of drinking from a water bowl you will need to mist the walls of the cage so he/she can drink off of the sides. Since they are an arboreal species versus your B. smithi, a terrestrial, you will need to provide more vertical space rather than floor space. Fake plants offer a way for them to climb and are easier to clean than a live plant setup. Making sure the A. versicolor has ample moisture for higher humidity but not a soggy environment will help them thrive. They also seem to fare better when they have good air circulation. So while you consider what to add to your collection don't limit yourself by what you think may be more difficult to keep and diversify your collection. A. versicolors along with many of the Avicularia are beautiful spiders and add a unique characterisic to anyones collection.