B.Smithi Substrate Wetness

dayredfern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, i was just wondering how does B Smithi like its substrate? wet or very dry????

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dry dry dry, but with a water dish..... sometimes ill over flow the dish just a little, but Smithi hate excessive moisture and wet substrate.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yep, my smithi is kept completely dry/water dish been keeping her like that since she was a little youngen:p

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mainly dry. Keep the water dish full and you can overflow it a little once or twice every two weeks. It's good to let if dry out completely every few months.

Man, I was too slow on that one huh.

dayredfern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
opk thanks, any info on drying peat moss out very quickly? got her a bigger tank and its toooo wet, want it to be perfect before i put her in

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
opk thanks, any info on drying peat moss out very quickly? got her a bigger tank and its toooo wet, want it to be perfect before i put her in
Just give it a day or two. By then the surface will be fine and the rest can continue to dry out with the T in the tank. As it finishes drying out, the T can get settled in at the same time.

dayredfern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wont the moisture cum up wiv the heat?
the heat comes from behind the tank like

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are speaking english right?

Just dont water the substrate every day or even week...... dry is the way to go, if its really wet now just let it dry out. And sometimes over fill the water dish but thats it.

dayredfern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes i am speaking english, Liverpool UK english, so if i put dry substrate ontop of the damp substrate it will be ok?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No that is not needed...... if the substrate is wet right now just let it dry out.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes i am speaking english, Liverpool UK english, so if i put dry substrate ontop of the damp substrate it will be ok?
You can do that. It will help wick out the moisture below and make it more hospitable for the T now without having to change out the entire tank and stress it out further. I had to do this for my big female because she kept knocking over the water dish and making it way too damp.