B. smithi slings dig?

jharr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have four 1/2" B. smithi slings and I can't see 2 of them. Are they burrowing at this tender age, or did they fly the coop? They are all in identical housing and the smaller ones are still there, so I don't think they escaped. Just curious.

Thanks,
J--

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep they will dig........ slings most of all. I find that about maybe at 3" they start to use hides a little bit more and do less digging. But from now to then they love to dig and explore and hide underground.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Smaller B. smithi slings most definitely burrow. However, I do need to ask what type of enclosure you had them in. At that size, if they were kept in any size Kritter Keeper, they could easily escape from those. If they are in vials with a secure lid it is highly unlikely they escaped.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got my first smithi sling a couple of weeks ago. I found that not only does it dig impressive tunnels, it also likes to close off the entrance. And I'm pretty sure it's not premoult behaviour because it's done this a few times with a few burrows.
But the covered entrance seems indistinguishable from the rest of the surface substrate. If you see no spiders and no holes, that might be the reason.

jharr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have them in sample cups with snap-on lids. I drilled some 1/16" holes in the tops for ventilation. So I seriously doubt they escaped, but it's been a while since I had slings this small. Thanks for the help, everyone!

J--

Smaller B. smithi slings most definitely burrow. However, I do need to ask what type of enclosure you had them in. At that size, if they were kept in any size Kritter Keeper, they could easily escape from those. If they are in vials with a secure lid it is highly unlikely they escaped.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
burrowing

Sime they're in cups with lids, I wouldnt worry, they will dig and tunnel, probly just sitting in a nice burrow.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They probably burrowed, and have tug a tunnel system which you may or may not be able to see, depending on how close to the edge of the container they dug.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My rosie sling is a digger, prime excavator and burrower, so is my aureostriata thats 2inches. It's not unusual to see slings burrow... :D

xrickus

Arachnopeon
my 1.5" smithi digs all day...
I used the 2 aquarium technique to force it to dig near the glass so it's easy to check on it.

jharr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Follow-up Q?

So if they are in a burrow with the opening covered, how are they going to find a nice juicy fruit fly when I toss them in? Do I need to offer dead food so that they will eat?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just drop the prey item near the entrance to his layer........ if hes hungry he will come running. If not remove the prey after a few hours if not consumed.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Odd

My B. smithi sling is about 1 inch and has never burrowed at all. I have 7 other sling species and they all burrow extensively. Who knows why they do what they do? My slings eat when they are hungry. My B. smithi will often run away from small crickets when first put into the enclosure. I have never actually seen it attack and consume anything. But, the next day no cricket and its rear is nice and plump. My point is don't worry too much about it. If it is hungry, it knows how to feed. Just keep offering food every few days or so. Best of luck.

jharr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great. My only concern with the fruit flies is that they climb up the sides of the enclosure as soon as they hit the ground. If they go near the sling, they get eaten, if not they climb up the side and probably escape out the ventilation holes. Is there a roach suitable for 1/2" slings? Would this be a better option?

Thanks,
J--

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My B. smithi sling is about 1 inch and has never burrowed at all. I have 7 other sling species and they all burrow extensively. Who knows why they do what they do? My slings eat when they are hungry. My B. smithi will often run away from small crickets when first put into the enclosure. I have never actually seen it attack and consume anything. But, the next day no cricket and its rear is nice and plump. My point is don't worry too much about it. If it is hungry, it knows how to feed. Just keep offering food every few days or so. Best of luck.
I have never had a Brachy 1 inch or over attempt to dig.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Great. My only concern with the fruit flies is that they climb up the sides of the enclosure as soon as they hit the ground.
What I do for my slings is put a dead cricket near the burrow entrance. But then, my L. parahybana would politely sit with its toes sticking out of the hole when it wanted food. When it covered the hole, I left it alone.

They have no problem "finding" dead prey, I've noticed. I gues Ts have a sense of smell after all. :?

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my b. smithi sling goes to town digging a burrow. my a. bicoloratum sling is even worse in making burrows. i know it'll outgrow this tendency to burrow.