B. Smithi sling habitat

Arachnafax

Arachnopeon
I just recently purchased this little fella and put him in this habitat. Is this suitable? It has a cap for water now. I also have an avic but I understand that this T is not an arboreal species. So I guess im asking what the best bet is for this guy as far as its enclosure goes? Will this work or am I missing something?

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
That will work. Could go a little smaller, but no need to bother at this point. I’d also put in a few more inches of substrate and tamp it down. Other than that. Good setup

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I also have an avic but I understand that this T is not an arboreal species
Wrong Avics are arboreal- who the hell told you that!!!???

Your setup will do for its owner temporarily. Remember with a heavy bodied terrestrial keep distance from sub to lid at 1.5x DLS or your T will be called SPLAT!

Get a deeper dish so you don’t have to fill as frequently- no they won’t drown.

Coradams

Arachnoknight
Maybe I am not seeing the picture correctly but is there only the one air hole?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
needs more dirt. Considerable fall risk as-is and needs a water dish.(use a plastic bottle cap) Otherwise all good

Arachnafax

Arachnopeon
That will work. Could go a little smaller, but no need to bother at this point. I’d also put in a few more inches of substrate and tamp it down. Other than that. Good setup
Wrong Avics are arboreal- who the hell told you that!!!???

Your setup will do for its owner temporarily. Remember with a heavy bodied terrestrial keep distance from sub to lid at 1.5x DLS or your T will be called SPLAT!

Get a deeper dish so you don’t have to fill as frequently- no they won’t drown.
I was referring to the B. Smithi. I know the avic is an arboreal species, im sorry. The way I worded that made it sound like I was calling the red knee an arboreal. No, I know it is terrestrial and the container has enough substrate now and of course something in it for water that wasnt in the picture displayed. I just wanted to know if that was suitable for that T. I have arboreal and also a couple g rosea. Never owned a B.smithi. or raised a sling so that's is where my questions where originating from.

Attachments

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I was referring to the B. Smithi. I know the avic is an arboreal species, im sorry. The way I worded that made it sound like I was calling the red knee an arboreal. No, I know it is terrestrial and the container has enough substrate now and of course something in it for water that wasnt in the picture displayed. I just wanted to know if that was suitable for that T. I have arboreal and also a couple g rosea. Never owned a B.smithi. or raised a sling so that's is where my questions where originating from.
this looks good.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Looks good.

Hi
the enclosure looks good as others have said.
The tarantula is looking quite young and although they are considered dry species as slings they will benefit from a moist corner.I dry the enclosures once they pop their adult colours properly until then you can keep a corner moist so they have option between dry and moist substrate if they feel like it.
For clarification don't aim to keep top layer moist all the time put a hole with a back of a paintbrush (skewer) and pour water so the water goes down to the bottom layers .You can moist different corners on rotation too
Regards Konstantin

Arachnafax

Arachnopeon
Hi
the enclosure looks good as others have said.
The tarantula is looking quite young and although they are considered dry species as slings they will benefit from a moist corner.I dry the enclosures once they pop their adult colours properly until then you can keep a corner moist so they have option between dry and moist substrate if they feel like it.
For clarification don't aim to keep top layer moist all the time put a hole with a back of a paintbrush (skewer) and pour water so the water goes down to the bottom layers .You can moist different corners on rotation too
Regards Konstantin
Thankyou very much. I'm actually curious about something now. Can anyone tell if this is a smithi or a hamorri? The place I bought it didnt specify...

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Thankyou very much. I'm actually curious about something now. Can anyone tell if this is a smithi or a hamorri? The place I bought it didnt specify...
too soon to tell. Wait until it starts showing color. My guesstimate @ this juncture is Hamorii. If you search this forum you can find info on how to differentiate

Poonjab

Arachnoking
As stated, I’d assume hamorii based on it tending to be more common in the hobby.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Mexican Red could mean a lot of things are we missing a descriptor? Knee? Leg?

Arachnafax

Arachnopeon
Mexican Red could mean a lot of things are we missing a descriptor? Knee? Leg?
Mexican red knee* I know for a fact that much. But the place I purchased the fella doesnt know a whole lot about what they are selling aparantly and I'm finding that out. Because most of what they tell me I find to be false here. They told me smithi but I really didnt think it was. That's why I asked. I've learned more here in a couple days than they've ever told me about species I've bought there.

Arachnafax

Arachnopeon
It was labeled Mexican red knee but when asked if it was hamorri or smithi they couldnt tell me.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
If they are going on outdated info I'll wager Hamorii. Hamorri used to be called Smithi in the trade, and what we call smithi now used to be annitha. It becomes easy to tell when they mature

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice 2 level setup. you could put that little one in a 16 oz deli cup as well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hard to tell at this size. I would have to wait till juvi colors. Common names esp that one you mentioned- fits about 4 species out of MX