B smithi sling - Collapsed Burrow

Desert Rose

Arachnopeon
My B smithi is about 2.5 inches right now. He just got buried by 6 inched of dirt, aquarium gravel, and terrarium moss collapsed on him.

I left the house at 5 in the morning, and checked on him 5 in the afternoon. I noticed his burrow was gone and so was the T.

I buried him up, since he was against the plastic bottum of the KK under ALL 6inches of dirt. After digging him out, he was wriggling around a bit, but is now proceeding to be a pet rock again. There doesn't appear to be any huge damage, he walked quite a bit after I dug him up.

So he could have been under there for 12 hours, unable to make any progress by himself. Obviously he is alive, but how can I check to see if he's OK? What should I look for other than bleeding?

I took out most of the substrate which left a good fall from ceiling to floor, so I put a handful of soft spaghnum moss for him to land on and to burrow in.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What are/were you doing with aquarium gravel in there?

Desert Rose

Arachnopeon
It was on the bottum, under the soil for drainage, in case I put a little plant in their or something, and had to water it. But he mixed it all up burrowing.

I won't try it again, but you almost have to have somekind of drainage for live plants to truely last without getting pretty little cases of root rot.

Anyways, I hardly think thats of any importance since I changed the substrate and still dont know if he's going to live, thank you very much.

Can anybody tell me how to check if he's going to be Ok?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, I'll buy that, as long as you dont charge too much for it ;) LOL

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He should be fine. For 2.5 inch I wouldnt use anymore than 4 in of dirt and get him a little cave to use. Half a tiny flower pot or a plastic rock to tunnel under. It's a desert species so ditch moss also. Good luck! ;)

Ronniegal

Arachnopeon
Im not teaching to suck eggs ok mate but the safest substrate is Vermiculite.Its defo Not good to use gravel in any case.

Best Wishes, Ronnie :eek:)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im not teaching to suck eggs ok mate but the safest substrate is Vermiculite.Its defo Not good to use gravel in any case.

I'd say peatmoss is what I like best. Vermic sticks to everything, is loose and I just don't like it but that is me. When I breed my smithis they are stricktly on peat kept dry and with a water dish. Peat holds burrows better to.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

vermiculite sux rotten eggs imho. peat all the way with me ;)