B. Smithi sling about to molt? But showing weird symptoms...

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the helpful replies!
My biggest concern was with the whole limb.
Since it is still tiny (the sling I mean), is there a chance that the T will grow the limb back to normal (full size and everything)?

Thanks!

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
To be honest it is not in pre molt because the abdomen needs to stay dark or else it is not in pre molt. Also Brachys and Grammys have been noted to fast but for brachys it is not that rare the only brachy i have is a boehmei and they eat 1-2 times in a week. So good luck:rolleyes:
It doesnt have to be black to be in premolt:p, turning black is the last part of the apolysis.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spider molts everything except spinnerets. Wich means it will regenerate the lost leg and in few molts it will be good as new. I am especting my girl to molt too. :)

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
So, how does regeneration actually look?
I mean Right now, if I look under 20X magnification I can see a little 'stub' where the missing leg was, will it grow back from there?

I just can't get the whole concept of molting through my head. I understand that the spider grows a exoskeleton inside an exoskeleton, then sheds the outer one, but how would the limb work? Is the limb 'folded up' inside the growing exoskeleton?

I think I am fascinated with tarantula anatomy.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The new leg is normally a bit thiner. Spider firstly starts to shed his legs, takes one leg at the time out the old one (whole exosceleton starts to crack and "new spider" gets out. It takes 30 minutes to few hours. This is how looks like when B. smithi is molting(she is 3.7 inches now :))

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Spider molts everything except spinnerets. Wich means it will regenerate the lost leg and in few molts it will be good as new. I am especting my girl to molt too. :)
Thats strange, i have a whole bunch of old exoskeletons here and they all have spinnerets.
How are the old spinnerets supposed to grow without old molting? That would be an 11" spider with sling sized spinnerets

Last edited:

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Wow! dont be silly!? Tarentulas deff molt their spinnarets! How would the spinnarets grow otherwise?

Sweet! take care

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wrote wrongly how I meant. Here is a quote:
If the spinneret were damaged or removed by some mishap, say chewed on by a cricket during molting or lost in an escape from a predator or during a difficult molt, it will almost surely regenerate.

However, if the spinneret were missing as a developmental problem or as a result of a genetic defect it probably would not regenerate since the fundamental tissue layers and associated machinery would also be missing.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
So, how does regeneration actually look?
I mean Right now, if I look under 20X magnification I can see a little 'stub' where the missing leg was, will it grow back from there?

I just can't get the whole concept of molting through my head. I understand that the spider grows a exoskeleton inside an exoskeleton, then sheds the outer one, but how would the limb work? Is the limb 'folded up' inside the growing exoskeleton?

I think I am fascinated with tarantula anatomy.
If the leg or pedi is off at the carapace then the new one that comes out after molt is small & hasnt much hair! and yes it is folded up in the small stump and carapace! ance it has that small limb the 'new ' limb then grows inside that one! just stait this time, much like the others, just a bit tighter i asume! Small spiders legs come back fast! obviously because they molt often! When a adult female looses a leg it often take a couple years to come right, because they usualy molt about once a year!

Sweet! take care

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
Okay, so it has been nearly 9 days since my b. smithi ate something.
I have been trying to feed it once every 2 days, I put a cricket it, then wait an hour, and if the cricket isn't dead (usually the spider is on the lid or the wall), I take it out after an hour.
Is my feeding process correct?

Also, how long do slings fast before molting?
I would assume they couldn't hold that much moisture inside them, since they are so small.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Okay, so it has been nearly 9 days since my b. smithi ate something.
I have been trying to feed it once every 2 days, I put a cricket it, then wait an hour, and if the cricket isn't dead (usually the spider is on the lid or the wall), I take it out after an hour.
Is my feeding process correct?

Also, how long do slings fast before molting?
I would assume they couldn't hold that much moisture inside them, since they are so small.
Dont stress too much! i have so many spiderlings that they only get fed once every 14 days anyway you look at it!

But lets see if i can help!
How old is it?
What size?
When did it last molt?
Do you have a pic?
What size cricket is it?

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
To be honest it is not in pre molt because the abdomen needs to stay dark or else it is not in pre molt. Also Brachys and Grammys have been noted to fast but for brachys it is not that rare the only brachy i have is a boehmei and they eat 1-2 times in a week. So good luck:rolleyes:
I have a boehmei that hasnt touched food for about a month... not to sure why but he/she looks healthy just not hungry!

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
Dont stress too much! i have so many spiderlings that they only get fed once every 14 days anyway you look at it!

But lets see if i can help!
How old is it?
What size?
When did it last molt?
Do you have a pic?
What size cricket is it?
Okay, here is some earth-shattering info that may totally change things.

When I got the t's first, I opened the box, and noticed two vials, one was a b. smithi, and another, b. albopilosum, I was so excited that I mixed up the lids, and I then 'assumed' which one is which (with the folks from Tarantulas Canada). This was exactly 9 days ago.

I was told that the b. smithi was the bigger of the two, that's how I determined which is which, now they both looked pretty much the same.

The last time the 'smithi' ate was 8 days ago, the last time the 'albipilosum' ate was 3 days ago.
Two days ago I noticed that the 'smithi' lost a leg.

The 'smithi' is much slower, and does not want to eat as much.
The 'smithi' has lost all its u.hairs before the 'albopilosum'.
The 'smithi' is much more skittish that the 'albopilosum'.
Both slings have not yet molted in my care.

In any case that's all I know about them, and also the reason I am writing everything in 'quotes' is that I am not sure anymore, haha.

Here are some pics, perhaps they can help out which is which.

ALBOPILOSUM???

SMITHI???

The cricket size is about the same size as the legspan of the slings.

Also, perhaps the cricket is too big?
Could this be a reason why they are not feeding?
The cricket is about the size of the sling, I just can't seem to find anything smaller in pet stores around town =(.
I live in Lodnon, Ontario.

Any ideas how long it would take the slings to grow bigger?

Last edited:

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Hi! another important thinh is temp! if its not worm enough to digest it wont eat!
The spiders look fine they are also 'fat' enough! they will be able to go at least a month or two without food!
Never feed a cricket thats the same size as the spider! if you cant find something
smaller then cut a piece of the cricket and drop it into the container!
Dont stress! it should be fine! If you really wondering whitch spider is whitch! you will have to wait untill one of them start showing orange on the legs!

Sweet take care

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
Okay, so both of them look good then or too fat?

Are there any sources that can tell mt when a t. is starving/eaten too much?

Thanks again!

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They also need variation in their diet, crickets, roaches, grasshoppers ect. And the feeder insects also need quality food to be as nutrient as possible.

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
They also need variation in their diet, crickets, roaches, grasshoppers ect. And the feeder insects also need quality food to be as nutrient as possible.
Well I do get my feeders (only crickets) from PetSmart, and I assume that they are quality food, since it is a reputable company.
Also, as I don't have any other feeders available to me, could I use worms (Mealworms, superworms, etc.)?

I would use various insects that I find, but I don't want the t's to be exposed to chemicals.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well I do get my feeders (only crickets) from PetSmart, and I assume that they are quality food, since it is a reputable company.
Also, as I don't have any other feeders available to me, could I use worms (Mealworms, superworms, etc.)?

I would use various insects that I find, but I don't want the t's to be exposed to chemicals.
Remember you need to feed your crickets with good quality food. A colony of Blaptica dubia is very good to have.