B.Smithi .. should i keep the tank in my room?

ronald might

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my smithi dosent seem to like its place ..some people tell me its the humidity but im positive that its not a humidity problem..ive check the humidity and its bout 60 ..tats alright for a smithi..

He is still climbing the walls! in fact..its day time.. and he has been on the wall for a few hours now! bout 12 hours!

do Ts kick hairs normally? cause mine has kicked out a circular patch! and he doesnt look pretty any more!

im quite worried..is it because im viewing it too often? i dont know what to do! im quite worried that it'll die!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well are you keeping her wet? If so they like it bone dry. Are there crickets wandering in there bugging her? If so remove all alive prey and then offer food in a few days. Are there mites? Check to see if you can see anything small and white and moving around on the substrate and in or around the water dish. Is the setup new? If so they can take some time to settle down into their new homes, but eventually she will settle down. Are you avoiding direct sunlight?
I think I covered it all.........
Opps no wait are you sure its a female and not a mature male?
There now I covered most logical topics of cause.

ronald might

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i put in 3 crickets last night.. and my tank is so big i cant seem to find it! im puting al my effort in look for them..

eh there's a little sunlight..but the other parts of the tank dont have light! so should should head there right?

ok ok no mites...his abdomenent (how do you spell it?!) looks a little dusty..but definatly not mites..

ok ok he doesnt even borrow! if you've seen my pictures..you can see how thick the soil are...and ive go really nice escapes for him! but he doesnt go there! :(

i really dont know whats wrong..im sad that he is not enjoying himself..

i donteven know if he is a male or not! ill post a picture too let you see

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
b. smithi won't burrow, at least mine doesn't. mine is probably my most active T so if its wandering around and rearranging it's enclosure constantly i wouldn't be too concerned. kicking all its hairs it though does make it sound a bit stressed.

i'd check and make sure its not under an conditioner vent or anywhere a lot of air would be blowing on it. also if you have it on potting soil you may consider changing substrate to peatmoss or bed-a-beast or something you can be sure doesn't have any fertilizer in it. (i keep all my T's on peat moss, i really hate potting soil personally)

other then that i dunno, you may just have an especially nervous specimen. mine is much more nervous than a pink toe or rosie etc.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a 2" smithi and it has a very elaborate burrow. Multiple entrances and it is constantly renovating and changing things around. I am guessing there is 4 inches of substrate and it has burrowed all the way down and back up the other side... I also have a small boehmei and it is a little psycho.. constantly walking around and kicking hairs whenever I offer food or water... they are all different... the personality is what makes them fun for me...

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my old girl NEVER climbs she's just sits about waiting for her food :drool: some times she will walk in to her hide but comes out after about 5mins then just sits waiting for her dinner ( the lucky cow {D ) --- PHIL

ronald might

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmmm..i guess so...but will it like die from being too nervous? i've covered all sides of my terrarium except the top for ventilation.

im using vocanic mix for top soil and potting soil for the lower bit...is this good?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Volcanic meaning little rocks? If so I would make a switch to peat moss. Or a peat moss and vermiculite mix.

ronald might

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nope..it still looks like soil to me! its kinda light brownish..has the tone of milk chocolate!

there's like really small bits of charcol if im not wrong.. and little white dots...really little..but yeh..the packet says vocanic mix

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah, well my smithi has a tank with a wire mesh top and for the last week thats where she has been...... upside down Australian style. I have checked every thing and have come to the conclusion that this is the place to keep an eye on the black monster that is G pulchra next door. There is a sheet of paper blocking her view now so I will see if she comes and stays down.