B smithi questions

Lolita

Arachnoknight
So i have a smithi that i believe is a male i havent sexed a molt yet since he hasn't molted in my care but he does seem to be male he's not mature yet but i'd say he's about 4 inches to 5 give or take and i'm looking to get a female theres some people i know locally who are selling a 4 inch or so female but told me to make an offer i don't want to lowball them so whats a fair price?

also what are their maximum size? if crixus my male matures out in his next molt or so would the female be large enough to breed or would i just be out of luck?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So i have a smithi that i believe is a male i havent sexed a molt yet since he hasn't molted in my care but he does seem to be male he's not mature yet but i'd say he's about 4 inches to 5 give or take and i'm looking to get a female theres some people i know locally who are selling a 4 inch or so female but told me to make an offer i don't want to lowball them so whats a fair price?

also what are their maximum size? if crixus my male matures out in his next molt or so would the female be large enough to breed or would i just be out of luck?
You probably need to wait until you can confirm via molt. Because what if you're wrong?

How long have you been keeping Ts? Are you ready for breeding?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You probably need to wait until you can confirm via molt. Because what if you're wrong?

How long have you been keeping Ts? Are you ready for breeding?
Agreed. I've been keeping T's for over a year and a half, and I'm still not quite ready to breed.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
well if i end up with two females then thats fine i'll just keep them as pets i want a for sure female and idk about crixus so i'm getting a backup, but i've had a few of my friends look him over some of which have been breeding T's for a few years and they said he's probably a he so when he matures out i'd like to have a female ready for him at that point i'll send them both to my friends who will be doing the actual breeding. also to answer your question about a year and i already have a bunch of vials and stuff for slings for when my friends hatch out the sack for me and i'm gonna give them some of the slings as well so if my original questions could be addressed that would be appreciated

Professor Pesti

Arachnopeon
$100-120 is fair. Though imo should be less to help the hobby.

They normally reach sexual maturity at the age of around 5 years.

An adult female has a body roughly 4 inches long, with a leg span of 6 inches, and a weight of approximately 15 grams. Both sexes are similar in appearance, with the male having a somewhat smaller body, but longer legs. Thus the male is of comparable size to the female, but weighing significantly less.

One way is to check the spermathecae. If it's sclerotized, brown and firm, she's definitely ready. When was her last molt? you might want to ponder that before you fret mating her.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
well i havent gotten her yet i have a possible him he's got the dark spot inbetween his book lungs that i've been told by several people indicates male and i just want to try to find a female who would work for him when he finally matures so he doesn't go to waste.

Unity

Arachnopeon
How big can crickets be for my 1.5" b smithi

Can my little girl eat larger crickets? She is 1.5 inches big or should I give her 3 small crickets rather than 2 small crickets each week? When do I graduate up to more crickets each week or larger crickets each week?

Professor Pesti

Arachnopeon
Generally, I aim for feeding my tarantulas insects that are about 1/4-1/2 the size of their abdomen. Some species prefer larger prey, while others wait for smaller foods. You will have to experiment here to see what your tarantula prefers. But take caution to not offer food so large that it may injure your tarantula. An appropriately sized prey item twice a week is a good feeding regimen for spiderlings.

Some keepers like to "power feed" their spiderlings so that they grow quicker and will offer food daily as long as it is eaten. Whether this practice is detrimental to the health and lifespan of the spider is not known, but the same practice does have adverse results in higher animals such as reptiles. I wouldn't suggest this.

All but the very largest adult tarantulas will thrive on only 6-8 crickets a month. Don't think the poor thing is starving to death, nothing good comes out from being obese.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Generally, I aim for feeding my tarantulas insects that are about 1/4-1/2 the size of their abdomen. Some species prefer larger prey, while others wait for smaller foods. You will have to experiment here to see what your tarantula prefers. But take caution to not offer food so large that it may injure your tarantula. An appropriately sized prey item twice a week is a good feeding regimen for spiderlings.

Some keepers like to "power feed" their spiderlings so that they grow quicker and will offer food daily as long as it is eaten. Whether this practice is detrimental to the health and lifespan of the spider is not known, but the same practice does have adverse results in higher animals such as reptiles. I wouldn't suggest this.

All but the very largest adult tarantulas will thrive on only 6-8 crickets a month. Don't think the poor thing is starving to death, nothing good comes out from being obese.
umm i wasn't asking about food?

Professor Pesti

Arachnopeon
Can my little girl eat larger crickets? She is 1.5 inches big or should I give her 3 small crickets rather than 2 small crickets each week? When do I graduate up to more crickets each week or larger crickets each week?
Was speaking to Unity. Believe your question was answered already.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
oh i didn't even notice the other post my bad but yeah my question that hasn't been answered yet is how large does a female smithi have to be to breed

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not attempting to be rude, but the question wasn't answered entirely that the original poster asked, and in fact, Unity and yourself are hijacking the OP's thread. :?

A 4" inch (legspan) female can go anywhere from $80-120, depending on the seller. Full grown females (5-6" legspan)can reach upwards to $200, also dependant on the seller.

If you do not know the maximum size that this tarantula can achieve,nor do you know if you have a male or female, then my opinion is that it may be to early for you to attempt breeding, especially when you do not know the basics of your own specimen.

Brachypelma smithi are cannibalistic, and if you make a mistake of introducing two specimens of the same sex into the same environment, possibility of only one leaving is highly likely.

Also, if your friends have bred before, would they not know if you have a male or female, and the basics of what needs to be met for the breeding? :cool:

But to answer your query, a 4" leg span female B.smithi is not ready in my opinion, some others may think differently and state that she is.

Generally they are not bred until around the 5-6 year mark, which is around 5"+ leg span. That is usually how the breeding is handled by a good friend of mine, which has bred his female on several occasions since she matured.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Not attempting to be rude, but the question wasn't answered entirely that the original poster asked, and in fact, Unity and yourself are hijacking the OP's thread. :?

A 4" inch (legspan) female can go anywhere from $80-120, depending on the seller. Full grown females (5-6" legspan)can reach upwards to $200, also dependant on the seller.

If you do not know the maximum size that this tarantula can achieve,nor do you know if you have a male or female, then my opinion is that it may be to early for you to attempt breeding, especially when you do not know the basics of your own specimen.

Brachypelma smithi are cannibalistic, and if you make a mistake of introducing two specimens of the same sex into the same environment, possibility of only one leaving is highly likely.

Also, if your friends have bred before, would they not know if you have a male or female, and the basics of what needs to be met for the breeding? :cool:

But to answer your query, a 4" leg span female B.smithi is not ready in my opinion, some others may think differently and state that she is.

Generally they are not bred until around the 5-6 year mark, which is around 5"+ leg span. That is usually how the breeding is handled by a good friend of mine, which has bred his female on several occasions since she matured.
okay so 60 for a 3+ inch proven female would be a good price then?

also thanks you've been super helpful i wasn't planning on breeding till the stars align so to speak (the possible male matures i find a female of size ect) but i wanted to know the info ahead of time my friend has breed them before but has been super busy of late working so i havent had the time to ask them these questions i was told Smithi's reach 6 inches max leg span by a lot of care sheets ect so i was assuming either 4-5 inches for mating females but i guess 4 is a little under so thanks i think it'll probably be a little while before my male matures anyway but i figured learning now is probably better if my male is even a male hey i'd be happy to end up with two females too i just don't want my favorite tarantula to die without being able to have part of him live on it's sappy i know but i've become quite attached to the little bugger once again thanks for answering all my questions