B. Smithi purchase

Ancistrus

Arachnopeon
What do you guys think of buying b.Smithi sling 1/4 inch for $20 each from Petco or petsmart?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Other than to caution you that the sling may be mislabeled, I would probably take a chance on it. Plus, buying locally saves shipping costs....
Good luck.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
My opinion would be pretty much the same as @Ellenantula. Petco and their business practice on T's leave a lot to be desired....actually anything alive they have in their stores as well.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Assuming the label is accurate, the price is fair, especially considering the savings in shipping.

However, many people discourage you from purchasing animals from pet stores (especially the big chains), as their animals are often not properly cared for, and the care advice they give is poor.

If you want to avoid shipping costs (these can be prohibitive if you just want one sling), I would encourage you to try to find a breeder in your area or to go to a nearby exotic pet show. (For example, Repticon often has several tables with tarantulas.)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My own opinion, re: large chain pet stores, is that such stores are going to replace their inventory of Ts whether the Ts simply die from poor care there in the store OR if they are purchased. Naturally, I hope the purchaser will give their new T a good home. Sadly, some will be purchased by people who won't. :(

If I truly believed boycotting all T purchases from the large chain stores would stop them carrying Ts in their inventory, then I would view it differently.

Many on our boards write to chain pet store corporate offices to provide better T education and advice. The local store employees have to follow the guidelines of store policy in husbandry. Many employees know nothing about Ts and trust the care sheets provided to them.

Just be cautioned, you are at higher risk of a mis-identified T from such a store, imo. As stated earlier, I would take a chance on the sling.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My own opinion, re: large chain pet stores, is that such stores are going to replace their inventory of Ts whether the Ts simply die from poor care there in the store OR if they are purchased. Naturally, I hope the purchaser will give their new T a good home. Sadly, some will be purchased by people who won't. :(

If I truly believed boycotting all T purchases from the large chain stores would stop them carrying Ts in their inventory, then I would view it differently.

Every inch of retail space is valuable, and businesses spend enormous time and energy trying to maximize the amount of revenue generated. They pay attention to which inventory is selling and which inventory is languishing on shelves -- especially perishable inventory (which cannot even be sold cheaper at a loss once it's "expired.") Inventory that routinely doesn't sell doesn't get restocked.

For chain stores, it's possible that tarantulas are being removed from the shelves at particular locations (due to poor sales) even though they're selling well enough at other locations to justify continuing to carry them. (I used to consistently see one or two tarantulas at my local PetSmart, but I have not seen any there in many months, and I have never seen tarantulas at our local Petco.)

Will a boycott among the tarantula community get all tarantulas removed from chains like Petco and PetSmart? Probably not. It's possible that some stores continue to sell enough tarantulas to justify keeping them on the shelves, even without our business. (People outside the hobby may view tarantulas as disposable pets for children.)

However, we can have an effect on particular locations, especially those of us who live away from major metropolitan areas. (In such places, we may be the only/primary customers interested in tarantulas.)

That being said, even if my efforts were utterly futile, I would still rather give my money to responsible breeders and fellow hobbyists who take good care of their animals.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
Local reptile shows can be a good place to get slings if you don't want to pay for shipping. I bought a few $10 A. geniculata at one yesterday. The pet stores around here are terrible.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Local reptile shows can be a good place to get slings if you don't want to pay for shipping. I bought a few $10 A. geniculata at one yesterday.
You may also meet local breeders and shops who live within a reasonable driving distance (for future purchases).

skyvie

Arachnopeon
There's some definite tarantula health or ethical considerations here (as stated) because of "business" practices. It also includes the CB/WC dilemma, though I see many recommended dealers online selling significant amounts of WC individuals. OTOH, saving shipping is definitely a plus, so...

And, to sidestep this for a second, just remember that Brachys grow kinda slow and that may mean a long time feeding very small prey. Just something else to take into consideration.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
That being said, even if my efforts were utterly futile, I would still rather give my money to responsible breeders and fellow hobbyists who take good care of their animals.
Agree completely. All my Ts were acquired online from breeders.

I don't live near a petstore but I do usually see a couple Ts at the pet chain shops when I do go into the city.
I almost think they accept it as a monetary loss to keep them, but just want to have small amounts of diverse exotics sprinkled around the place. Just for well-roundedness perhaps. Who knows.
I am actually more upset with the selling of parrots, puppies, kittens and beardies at them. Well, perhaps the selling of anything alive. :(
And it's not just the care LPS staff provide for the creature, but knowing that anyone can just walk out with a pet they may ill-prepared to give a good home to.

And, I am sure there are some small mom'n'pop pet stores that pride themselves on providing excellent care for pets they carry and do more customer screening before making a sale; so I don't want to use too broad a stroke of brush to implicate every single pet store in the world.

But of course, if someone posts that they've found a sling they want to purchase at a LPS, I'm not gonna can't tell them to pass on it, yannoe? I am hopeful that this (allegedly) B smithi sling gets a good home and has a long life.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I would recommend that you scan other available sources first. Even if it cost you a small amount more, it is always better to support a breeder/online retailer. You know the T has been cared for in the highest standards in that case. You also know the species you think you are getting is what you are getting.

If Petco is your only choice then it is still worth it (assuming they have a competitive price). There is a risk with Petco since they don't do husbandry correct for them in most cases. But I bought the B. smithi in my avatar (my only Petco T purchase) from them. I never plan to breed it since they called it a "Red Leg", but she is a beauty and quite calm.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Agree completely. All my Ts were acquired online from breeders.

I don't live near a petstore but I do usually see a couple Ts at the pet chain shops when I do go into the city.
I almost think they accept it as a monetary loss to keep them, but just want to have small amounts of diverse exotics sprinkled around the place. Just for well-roundedness perhaps. Who knows.
I am actually more upset with the selling of parrots, puppies, kittens and beardies at them. Well, perhaps the selling of anything alive. :(
And it's not just the care LPS staff provide for the creature, but knowing that anyone can just walk out with a pet they may ill-prepared to give a good home to.

And, I am sure there are some small mom'n'pop pet stores that pride themselves on providing excellent care for pets they carry and do more customer screening before making a sale; so I don't want to use too broad a stroke of brush to implicate every single pet store in the world.

But of course, if someone posts that they've has found a sling they want to purchase at a LPS, I'm not gonna can't tell them to pass on it, yannoe? I am hopeful that this (allegedly) B smithi sling gets a good home and has a long life.
I'll never understand why it is allowed in the US to keep puppies and kittens in a petstore for sale. I assume they close up for sundays, or even the weekends? This means they'll be all by themselves for a whole day or weekend! Irresponsible. Sorry to sidetrack this thread, and i know the lps/petco-horse has been beaten to death already, but this is one aspect i feel wasn't addressed recently.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'll never understand why it is allowed in the US to keep puppies and kittens in a petstore for sale. I assume they close up for sundays, or even the weekends? This means they'll be all by themselves for a whole day or weekend! Irresponsible. Sorry to sidetrack this thread, and i know the lps/petco-horse has been beaten to death already, but this is one aspect i feel wasn't addressed recently.
I've never personally seen a pet store that wasn't open 7 days a week. Usually, Sunday has shorter hours than usual so that some people can go to church in the morning.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Most Petco's are open everyday. My local Petco has a few employees come in on closed Holidays. I was told they get payed 2X to work on Christmas Day.

EDIT* Oops. Accidentally said 24X7 LOL.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I've never personally seen a pet store that wasn't open 7 days a week. Usually, Sunday has shorter hours than usual so that some people can go to church in the morning.
@Jeff23
Ah, I see. I didn't know that. Here, most pet stores and other shops, except for the supermarkets, are closed on Sunday. In Germany and Belgium as well if i recall correctly.